Feces all cemented to feathers below vent

Katherine10272

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
My barred rock has feces on her feathers below her vent. Vent looks clear but poop is all cemented to lower feathers. Is this the beginning of a sickness? What do I do?

My birds get that a lot, I don't think it's a sickness if the vent is clear. Sometimes they just get it on them, if your willing, just pull it off with your hand. Usually, sicknesses back there cause yellow and white poo all over their vent. :welcome

It would help if you could post a picture, there are a lot of diseases that include poopy vent. By your discription, it probably isn't major. ; )

X2 Photos would help - the bum and the poop.

There can be many causes of a "poopy bum".

First step would get her cleaned up. If she has "dingle berries" (hard poop stuck in the feathers) you will need to get them out. You can pull it out, cut it out or give her a soaking in a warm soapy bath this will sometime soften the poo enough so you can work it out of the feathers (wear a pair of disposable gloves - I like using a pair of cheap dollar store dish gloves for this).

For both of my Barred Rocks, I usually trim some of the fluff on their bums. These are the only 2 that seem to get a little messy at times.

Would love to see your flock and Welcome To BYC!

All good advise so far.

I would simply cut it off.. and either trim the feathers short or pluck them from around her bottom area that gets soiled. It can be a common problem wth some birds that have big fluffy butts.

Back
Top Bottom