Fed up with neighbor!!!

Quote:
I was on the fire department for two years....our chief handed out plenty of 500.00 and 1000.00 fines for burning things that are against the law...When we responded to a call we never knew who called...all we would have known was brush / structure / or vehicle fire at the address it was happening....

A little OT, but your wife has severe asthma and you have all this?

"1 choc lab 1 black lab/collie, 4 cats, 1 guinea pig, 1 beta fish, 2 Barred Rocks (1 roo and 1 hen), 5 RIR hens, 3 Phoenix hens, 3 BuffBrahma Cochin Bantam hens, 2 Silver Spangled Hamburgs (1 roo and 1 hen), 4 Americauna hens, 1 Wheaten hen and 2 rabbits"

That's a highly contaminated site for asthmatics such as me.

"Logical question--
If the nieghbor has been such a problem, why in 2 years or 3 years (depends on paragraph), haven't you took it upon yourself to build a secure fence, to designate the boundary and protect your property?"

Oh yeah, build a fence. If you don't need it for the neighbor you study with binoculars, you will need it for your parents or whoever else moves in. You can't complain when you haven't done much to protect yourself and your property. Good luck.
wink.png
And yes, burning the tire was wrong, but why not just go over and explain the situation?

Last edited:
Hey Ranchie, Ken has REALLY bad asthma, but his triggers are not animals. It could be the OP's case too. His is brought on by weather and stress. Really cold wet weather and I am breakin out the nebulizer!

Also, maybe the OP doesn't have the finances to build a fence. It seems strange to me that if it were dogs everyone would say it was the nieghbors fault and probably advocate exterminating them. But since it's cattle the OP has to put an exclusionary fence in? No way! If you have cows, you have to have a fence to contain them. It's not the OP's responsibility.

If the tire fumes were causing a medical problem and the neighbors are not on good terms, I totally agree with calling authorities/fire dept to get him to stop.

Quote:
What is best to do when neighbors knowingly burn illegally? (I realize this may vary by location, but would love to hear what firefighters, etc think)

Our neighbor over the back fence used to brag to me about burning trash and getting away with it. He also has thrown Jimson weed (he grew up on his dad's cattle ranch-he has to know that is poisonous) over TWO fences into the goat yard.
He said his wife complained that they moved off the ranch to get away from the flies, and when I first got goats she found a fly in her kitchen. I keep a clean pen, I don't think it hatched here.
I definitely don't want to be labeled a tattletale, I just want the stink to stop and my animals to be safe.
(He has stopped painting cars and dumping the solvents, etc., by the back fence, for now.)
He must like to look at our place because he sprayed roundup on the passionflower vines I planted as a visual block on the chain link fence he replaced the existing picket fence with, without asking for help or $, immediately after we moved in with a super sweet Rottie puppy he was afraid would eat his kids.
gig.gif

We put a 6' wood fence around the rest of the property, but skipped the back since the new chain link (with barbed wire on top
ep.gif
) was so permanent.

I met someone who works at the fire dept who gave me her cell # and said please call if you can SEE him burning. He always hides it between outbuildings, but on Christmas Day he did it right next to my fence. Stinky plastic fire
sickbyc.gif
I just couldn't call on Christmas.
hit.gif

If it was brush it would be fine, but the smoke from trash hurts my lungs, and I wonder if/how the goats & chickens are affected.

He's not going anywhere, and neither are we, so it would be nice to have this worked out.

See everywhere is different. Here forestry has to be called to fine someone. Also I never had a call that I didnt know the name an address of the caller. The next county over used a phone patch so the caller was talking directly over the radio to the firemen an every person with a scanner could hear what was said.

What is the same everywhere is that people volunteer as firemen to save lives. They drop what they are doing day or night for that job only. Its people that think they are there for them to call for any old stubbed toe or neighbor burning there garbage that have no respect for what these people are doing.

They only sent one small truck....it's not like it was a hook and ladder, pumper, heavy rescue....the works.

Not a big deal from your point of view.... But think about it this way. Those (2 I assume) men ether had to leave there family's or there jobs, pay for fuel in there cars to drive to the FD, gear up an drive to you, fix your issue, drive back, clean an replace equipment, do a 3 or 4 page report then they get to go back to there work or homes. Total time between 1 an 3 hours average. Every call will average $5 out of each firemen own wallet. More if he left work.

About 2 calls a day an ya have something like 28 hours of time a week taken away from each of there lives an about $70 dollars each a week that they don't get to spend on there family's. Maybe one or two of those calls are actual life an death emergency's, you know, there job. An people wonder why fire departments are closing all over the country. Its hard to find people that are willing to do a part time job that they have to spend half of there take home pay to do.

Firemen are not cops. Have nothing bad to say about cops. They server there community for very little pay. But firemen pay with there time an money in the off chance that one day they get to save a life. That is if they don't get frustrated an quit after spending thousands running calls that should not be there's to do.

I would not trade all the money I spent over my 13 years as a firemen for any one of the lives I saved. I do wonder how much my family went without so I could run all the calls that were not life an death.

Do I think people should be burning old tires or trash? No. But I also don't think the "butterfly effect" of me reporting it when I see someone doing it is worth it. But then again, the next person may.
If it was only you that made a call like that it would not be that big of a deal but ask your self, how many people live in your community. What if they all made one non emergency call a year. I guess its all in your prospective.

Guess I should also point out that if you have ever burned barn board, wood pulp, paper or any wood product that does not look exactly like a tree when you burned it then you have broken the same law as someone burning tires an you are subject to the same fines. Should the fire department be called every time someone somewhere burns these too?

Excuse me if this reads a little mean. Don't mean to be, just trying to give some perspective.​

What is best to do when neighbors knowingly burn illegally?

If its one tire or some trash here an there its not really worth it to do anything. But when people start doing actual damage to your property by dumping or massive burns or what have you then you can always video it if you think what they are doing is something that must be reported an then call the EPA. Still not sure that is the best idea ether but that is what they are paid for.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom