Feed and water in pen/coop

Any feed\water station left on the ground will inevitably end up buried - save yourself the trouble and plan ahead for an elevated or hanging setup unless you go with a grandpa feeder. - Elevated feeders will need to be weighed down somehow or they'll go flying when they get near empty.
Start early on with ensuring your chicks are on the roost at night by manually moving them. They won't go hunting for the nest boxes after sundown and will pick up that the roost is where they should be quite quickly.
My girls didn't really start destroying their run till they came into lay, so now is a good time to establish plants if you'd like. Cloche anything delicate till it establishes. Along with growing frames, they seem to leave poly-tunnels alone, so these can be used to grow temporary buffets too.
Designated dust bathing areas and 'dig piles' will go a long way to extend the life of that lawn, especially if it's the tough ropey kind.

Lots of trial and error!

In the brooder I start with the little feed pans you can screw the mason jar into and the similar waterer until they get big enough and really learn and master eating and drinking. In my makeshift Rubbermaid tote brooders I drilled a couple holes across from each other on the sides and slipped some threaded rod across and used washers and nuts to secure it enough. I’ll hang my smaller feeder and a length of PVC with nipples on the bottom for water.

Basically an 18 or so inch long piece of pvcwith an elbow and quarter turn valve to purge the air and the other side has a reduced to a 1/4 inch barb to attach some poly tubing that runs to a 5 gallon bucket positioned higher than the waterer. Once they learn to peck the nipples it’s smooth sailing and they’ll always have clean water. Otherwise you’ll be changing it at least twice a day because there’s always that one bugger that perches at the top of regular waterers and uses it as his or her toilet bowl.

Outside in the run I’m with the others that recommend a small wood frame with chicken wire stapled over the top to keep some grass growing. Every now and again you can throw some oat seed, buckwheat etc to add some variety to the growth. Otherwise they’ll scratch it bare. Mulch it thick with wood chips. Any kind. Leaves and pine needles as well. They’ll do all the work turning it and breaking it down for you, adding poo, eating bugs and bits, and in a season or two you’ll have some mighty fine compost built up underneath you can sift out and add to your garden or planters.

For my outside feeder I have a hanging 40gal lockable pail with a deer/game feeder attached to the bottom with a timer. Drops just enough feed twice a day to keep the ladies happy and the rodents hungry.

I keep hanging feeders in the coop, the kids have auto waterer's, aka dog bowls. Mine have a dirt run, except for when it rains or the hose or something breaks on one of the waterer's, the dirt floor is just fine. Helps with them getting grit too. I use pine shavings in my nest boxes and to keep them from sleeping in them you will need to block them off with something. I used pieces of board to cover mine till my chickens figured out what the new roost was. How many chicks do you have and what is the measurements on your coop?
I had no idea that you shouldn’t let them sleep in the nesting box till a certain age. What happens?

This is my pen, coops are attached to ends of this. I also have a water And hanging pellet feeder out side. I have had no leaking with my nipples on water jug. This works out well when they are locked in pen. My winter water jug I’d heated.

Attachments

• 15E427AB-B290-4536-9028-7D9E7A328F5D.jpeg
    15E427AB-B290-4536-9028-7D9E7A328F5D.jpeg
    660 KB · Views: 36
  • F180EDFA-1F39-4A9D-A1B0-B9D57DADFC43.jpeg
    F180EDFA-1F39-4A9D-A1B0-B9D57DADFC43.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 35

Back
Top Bottom