Feed and Water in the Coop??

cladano

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 6, 2012
Iowa
I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't put the food in water in the coop but I've seen a bunch of pics or videos of people having feeders and waterers right inside the coop. What's the reasoning behind this? Does it help in colder weather to put the food/water in the coop?

I keep food and water in the coop and water outside in the run as well. I keep the food inside just to lessen the chances of other critters getting into it as I dont want to move it at the end of each day. :)

Snow storms can put your birds into the barn here, for days on end. I couldn't keep the water thawed, except for heated dog dishes inside. The wild birds would also find the outside feeders, as would the squirrels, chipmunks, etc. Other than what gets "free tossed", all feed is indoors. During the summer, there is a outside waterer added.

Snow storms can put your birds into the barn here, for days on end. I couldn't keep the water thawed, except for heated dog dishes inside. The wild birds would also find the outside feeders, as would the squirrels, chipmunks, etc. Other than what gets "free tossed", all feed is indoors. During the summer, there is a outside waterer added.
X2 in what Fred said. Also gives the lower on the pole girls a better chance while the upper echelon is outside free ranging and gives my roo a chance to eat in peace. Some of my girls like to eat as soon as they jump out of the nest box as well. In all its really a matter of choice, where you live and size of the coop I suppose.

So what I've been seeing and hearing is that it's probably not a big deal to have feed and water in the coop?

I live in Iowa and will hopefully be building a chicken tractor 6x10 or 6x12 this spring for about 4-6 hens.

I don't view it as a big deal whether it's inside or out...more a matter of what works best for you. I recently moved the feeder outside into their run (covered and hanging). Up until then, it was always in the coop. I moved it primarily because of mice getting into the feed (feeder was on the floor of the coop). I realize that mice can jump, but at least now they'll have to work a lot harder to steal food...

We move their water in at night, and out in the morning. I want them to have access to water 24/7. This spring, I plan to rig waterers inside and out, just to take one more thing off the daily to-do list (although my wife likes doing this).
smile.png

Last edited:
i keep feed and water in the coop and in the run.i found mouse droopings in the inside feeder this morning.and i do have it hanging.now do i remove it or leave it.

Like many others, I hang my feed and waterer inside the coop. My chickens are free range as much as they like, but I feel that keeping the feed inside deters wild birds and other pests. I do have a second waterer outside in warm weather so the birds don't have to go inside to drink.

Back
Top Bottom