Feed costs rising! Transitioning to different feed. *Questions*

Compare the labels. I just looked on the website site it has 1.5% fat and 10% fiber that is way unbalanced should be closer 5 for both. Cheaper feed are putting a lot of By Products = junk. I find the cheaper the feed the more they eat to trying to increase the nutrition they need, so you are not really saving. Make sure your feed is fresh, feed oxizes fast and loses nutritional value. Here is an example of a layer diet note the nutrition pay attention to methionine and lysine these are the amino acids chickens use and are more important than crude protein %, look at fat, fiber, vitamins A,E,D. This is a breeder formula most breeders add calcium free choice on the side so we can feed roosters and hens same feed. But it gives you an idea of levels you should be looking at on your feed tag. I compinsated for increase feed cost by reducing the number of birds I am feeding rather than decreasing the quantity of feed in the end budget feed is going to lead to problems with health and wellness of the birds.
View attachment 3153946
Thank you for posting. I’ll stick with the Purina. Balanced nutrition and health is more important than cutting cost by only a few $$.

Need to change feed due to cost. Does anyone use the TSC layer feed - Producers Pride? Do your hens like it?
Any pros or cons to share besides cost?
I currently use Purina Layena and cost is up ….again so looking to make a change. If so, do I do a gradual transition like I do with horse feed? I appreciate your input 🤗

I’ve used PP layer on and off. Could be entirely coincidence, but those times have seemed to correlate with getting weaker shells. Last bag I bought was really heavy with molasses for some reason. Since the PP comes in 40 pound bags there’s only about a 50 cent difference between it and DuMor layer at the current price when you factor in weight.

Our economy is a joke. Have you seen how much vehicles are costing these days? It's ridiculous as hell. And when you're scrolling through ads looking to buy things, people are listing their stuff at a stupid price. Our dollar isn't even worth a dollar any more..... more like fiddy cents!

About the feed. For some reason my flock have always avoided eating pellets, they only seem to want chicken crack (scratch).... so I've been mixing scratch/pellets at a 2:1 ratio which have been saving me a bit of money, but now I'm wondering if they are getting enough nutrition. I would often times find pellets strewn throughout the area uneaten. Not sure what to do, but they do seem to be in good health overall.

Our economy is a joke. Have you seen how much vehicles are costing these days? It's ridiculous as hell. And when you're scrolling through ads looking to buy things, people are listing their stuff at a stupid price. Our dollar isn't even worth a dollar any more..... more like fiddy cents!

About the feed. For some reason my flock have always avoided eating pellets, they only seem to want chicken crack (scratch).... so I've been mixing scratch/pellets at a 2:1 ratio which have been saving me a bit of money, but now I'm wondering if they are getting enough nutrition. I would often times find pellets strewn throughout the area uneaten. Not sure what to do, but they do seem to be in good health overall.

I'm not going to respond to the first paragraph, BYC isn't really the place.

Re: the second paragraph, its highly likely the chickens are not getting adequate nutrition, though I'd want to know the feed you were using, the scratch you were using, and more about your flock before I say that with greater confidence. My current opinion is simply playing the odds. "they seem to be in good health overall" is, typically, due to a lack of comparative reference. North Korean men, relative to other North Korean men, seem to be in good health overall, similar to the health of their parents, and their parents, and their parents... but when compared to a man fro South Korea sharing largely (if not entirely) the same genetic history, the difference in health that an optimum (or at least adequate) diet can make is not only measurable, its immediately noticeable.

About the feed. For some reason my flock have always avoided eating pellets, they only seem to want chicken crack (scratch).... so I've been mixing scratch/pellets at a 2:1 ratio which have been saving me a bit of money, but now I'm wondering if they are getting enough nutrition.
Instead of mixing scratch, could you mix layer crumble or all-flock crumble, or starter-grower crumble with the pellets? That way you'd be giving them 20% (or hopefully almost that) protein. Either way, you'd need to be giving oyster shell on the side. You'd need to do that, even if your birds ate the pure layer pellets anyway. Also, if it's the shape of the pellets, you could just switch to crumble in the above-mentioned formulas.

I never heard that rumor. 🧐 I've been using TSC DuMOR layer pellets, layer crumble, and grower/starter feed ever since I started raising chickens 4 years ago and never had any problems. Could you provide a link?
The TSC DuMOR feed is actually made by Purina Mills. They have one with Marigold added as well. I am an avid Purina Mills feeder, horses & chickens, but something had to give just a big. The DuMor feed is still pricey here in Kansas but a bit less than Purina.

Need to change feed due to cost. Does anyone use the TSC layer feed - Producers Pride? Do your hens like it?
Any pros or cons to share besides cost?
I currently use Purina Layena and cost is up ….again so looking to make a change. If so, do I do a gradual transition like I do with horse feed? I appreciate your input 🤗
I had the same issue with Tractor Supply itself. The prices for feed just got way too high so I switched to a local feed mill in my area. However, I did use that brand for awhile and my hens seemed pretty content with it. Eggs were good and strong and they were still very lively and happy.

Back
Top Bottom