Feed Coturnix Quail Chicken Lay Crumble?

AZ Heat

Chirping
12 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Arizona
I know that quail need lots of protein for the first few weeks, but can you feed them chicken layer crumble when they start laying? Or do they still need a higher protein?

I'd go with higher protein. You could mix the layer crumble with a protein isolate, other source of protein, or get a hold of some gamebird mash or turkey starter.

I always used 17% chicken layer crumbles as that's what I was told when I started out, and got great production, but it seems like the higher protien stuff is highly reccomended now so that's what I'll be using when I start my flocks up again.

No, you should not feed males layer crumbles. The high calcium content is too much for the kidneys of males and can kill them eventually. It is much preferred of offer oyster shell on the side for the layers.

Last edited:
No, you should not feed males layer crumbles. The high calcium content is too much for the kidneys of males and can kill them eventually. It is much preferred of offer oyster shell on the side for the layers.
How much calcium is too much for adult males? I was thinking about mixing Purina Layena/Startena at 50/50 to get about 25% protein. That would put the calcium at about 1.75 MIN to 2.5 MAX.

How much calcium is too much for adult males? I was thinking about mixing Purina Layena/Startena at 50/50 to get about 25% protein. That would put the calcium at about 1.75 MIN to 2.5 MAX.

This would be "ok". Average 2% calcium is the high end of most "all flock" feeds which is fine for male poultry. I think you will be fine mixing these 2 together and males will do well.

Back
Top Bottom