Feed experts/ Lazy J Feed guy

greathorse

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Northern Colorado
I have a question as it relates to chicken feed. I have a very inexpensive source of feed here in colorado and am wondering about nutrional content for my layers as well as the young stuff I am feeding.

There is a mill very near me that cleans and screens grains for human consumption. After screening, the grain that goes through the screen, and is broken or for some reason misses the grade is ground for feed. He mixes wheat 75% corn 15% and beans (not soy) but black beans and pinto's to round out the feed. The feed tests right at 16% protein. The chickens seem to eat it ok but probably not with the relish they ate the layena. They look good and are in good flesh.

Am I missing some important nutrtion and if so is there a supplement. I repeat this feed is at a very low cost to me, less than half regular feed and I can trade eggs and chickens as well.

The gentleman from Lazy J seems to know things about nutrition, I dont know your name so sorry for referring to you in such a informal way. I would value your input.

Would love to hear educated input on this feed program.

To other Coloradans this guy is near Longmont, he is great guy and tells me he talked to an animal nutrionist that indicates this is pretty darn good feed. If we get a green light I can get you his contact information. My pigs are doing very well on this feed.

Sounds like a great find. How are the layers doing on it? Just make sure there is oyster shell out for them...all should be well. Wow, too bad I cant find something like that here...I would jump on it..and NOW!

I'd be concerned the feed would not contain enough Lysine and Methionine and if you are not supplementing any vitamins or minerals you will not keep up production.

Is he providing a tag with the feed or simply calling it 16%.

The calcium needs can be met with oyster shells, I am more worried about Phosphorus and trace minerals.

Jim

Each bag 1800lb bags cant remember what you call those big things are tested and tagged. The bags range from 15.5 to 16.5 sort of depending on the amount of beans.

My question really is there a supplement that I can get that will get them the elements you mentioned. I am feeding free choice oyster shells.

If there is a small trade off in production given the cost I am ok with it. I just dont want them to go way down.

The test the guy ran was for protein only he did not do a full profile I am guessing the cost of that may be prohibitive.

Thanks so much for your response.

What might be of help is a yahoo group. Sign in to yahoo go to groups, in the search type chicken feed, look at the Main Menu group. This is mainly organic feeding (yup folks I cover all my bases), they have a list of what is good and what is not. It is listed by percent.

Back
Top Bottom