Feed for 20 week olds not laying

onychophora

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2021
Hello, long time reader/lurker/backyard chickens fan, first time poster.

I have four girls who are approaching point of lay, however we're in the southern hemisphere and therefore winter. I'm not expecting them to start laying until the days start to get longer again however I'm running low on pullet feed with none available locally for a few weeks. If needed, could I switch to layer feed without the extra calcium harming them or would I be best to source some pullet feed further afield?

Thanks in advance!

I personally don't like feeding birds layer until they begin laying, but some people start feeding it at around 18 weeks (or whatever the directions on the bag say). So since your birds are around that age range you're probably ok. And I'd rather feed layer than just kitchen waste or scratch, at least it's balanced chicken feed.

I personally don't like feeding birds layer until they begin laying, but some people start feeding it at around 18 weeks (or whatever the directions on the bag say). So since your birds are around that age range you're probably ok. And I'd rather feed layer than just kitchen waste or scratch, at least it's balanced chicken feed.
That was my thinking. I always feed a balanced diet of some kind and they're free to roam and forage as well but I'd always had hens reaching point of lay during the warmer months so have never come across this particular conundrum. I'll try to stick with pullet feed through winter if I can.

I have four girls who are approaching point of lay, however we're in the southern hemisphere and therefore winter. I'm not expecting them to start laying until the days start to get longer again however I'm running low on pullet feed with none available locally for a few weeks. If needed, could I switch to layer feed without the extra calcium harming them
I bought chicks in the summer here August 15 (February in your neck of the woods) and they started to lay January 3 (July southern hemisphere)
So if your Pullets are 20 weeks or older I wouldn't hesitate to buy layers feed if I couldn't find Pullet feed.
You say they forage during the day so they probably consume less feed anyway.
Either way I would offer them a Calcium supplement separately, Oyster Shell, Limestone for Poultry or Marble, whatever they use as a Calcium supplement where you are.
20201126_051320_resized_1-2.jpg

GC

Last edited:
Hello, long time reader/lurker/backyard chickens fan, first time poster.

I have four girls who are approaching point of lay, however we're in the southern hemisphere and therefore winter. I'm not expecting them to start laying until the days start to get longer again however I'm running low on pullet feed with none available locally for a few weeks. If needed, could I switch to layer feed without the extra calcium harming them or would I be best to source some pullet feed further afield?

Thanks in advance!
At 20 weeks of age you could feed them all flock or starter with separate dishes of crushed oyster shell and grit on the side. But whatever kind of feed you decide to switch to, do it slowly over a period of at least 7 days, mixing the new with the old and increasing the amount of new feed every day.

Switching to a new feed at once can lead to sudden molt, which would leave your chickens at least partly naked naked while facing upcoming winter temperatures .

Last edited:
TAt 20 weeks of age you could feed them all flock or starter with separate dishes of crushed oyster shell and grit on the side. But whatever kind of feed you decide to switch to, do it slowly over a period of at least 7 days, mixing the new with the old and increasing the amount of new feed every day.

Switching to a new feed at once can lead to sudden molt, which would leave your chickens at least partly naked naked while facing upcoming winter temperatures .
Thanks for the heads up on food switching and moulting- I didn't know that. I'm trying to find the same food for them, but if I can't within the next few days I'll get layer.. something and slowly switch them over. I'd been waiting to start offering calcium because they get plenty of grit from their foraging but I'll put some shell grit in their coop for them. Sadly we don't get anything as fancy as oyster shell so I've always made do with the grit available as well as baking and crushing eggshells for them.

I bought chicks in the summer here August 15 (February in your neck of the woods) and they started to lay January 3 (July southern hemisphere)
So if your Pullets are 20 weeks or older I wouldn't hesitate to buy layers feed if I couldn't find Pullet feed.
You say they forage during the day so they probably consume less feed anyway.
Either way I would offer them a Calcium supplement separately, Oyster Shell, Limestone for Poultry or Marble, whatever they use as a Calcium supplement where you are. View attachment 2732610
GC
We don't tent to get a specific grit, I've never seen crushed granite or the like, most people around here use shell grit as both insoluble and soluble grit and don't seem to be aware of the difference. Luckily my girls have plenty of dirt to peck in for their rocky needs.

Back
Top Bottom