Feed for Angel Wing

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Hello,

I need some help figuring what to feed some young (8week old roughly) muscovy drakes that have developed angelwing. One has hadmittedly had it a while, it didn't look like the images I had seen, and figured thar it was just a feather growing wonky that was pushing the digit our, and not that they were too heavy for him, and the other began developing it while I was out of town last week.

They have been on an 18% protien chick starter (no waterfowl specific starters here), with nutritional yeast over top of it. I have a waterfowl pellet for them as well I accidentally got, but it's even more protien, which I read was what causes angelwing outside of genetics. The lowest protien I have is 17% Layer, which they stuff their faces with when they beat me to the bowls of feed in the morning, but I didn't think that would be best to solely feed when they're male ducks, not female chickens.

I'm just not sure how to lower the protien without adversely affecting them more, or the other ducks (8 weeks and 16 weeks roughly) that haven't had any issues that I can tell.

I know to bind the wings, that will be done as soon as I have a helper today since my one drake is very large, I just not sure on the feed. I knew that high protein was something to watch out for, but I never would have thought that 18% was too much when growing.

I can get a picture of the layer feed tag too if requested, I just figured these two would be more useful
20230730_111839.jpg
(What I feed currently for the most part)
20230730_111859.jpg
(What I've been waiting to switch them over to when they stop growing, accidentally got it early)

@Canadian Wind , @U_Stormcrow (You're much better than me at picking up on feed issues) , @Miss Lydia

Attachments

• 20230730_111859.jpg
    20230730_111859.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 1
I fed 20% Purina Flock raiser for years and never had angel wing in any of my ducklings, not bragging but I am just not sure protein is the cause. I can't get waterfowl-specific feed here either but Having a mixed flock I feed layer and starter[starter because I have ducklings right now] mixed together with 6-way grains. I have no idea what the protein count is with this but my flock does well on it. I don't know what to tell you on the feed.
I am thinking genetics is the culprit most of the time.
I'd def wrap and hopefully in a few days the wings will be fixed.

I fed 20% Purina Flock raiser for years and never had angel wing in any of my ducklings, not bragging but I am just not sure protein is the cause. I can't get waterfowl-specific feed here either but Having a mixed flock I feed layer and starter[starter because I have ducklings right now] mixed together with 6-way grains. I have no idea what the protein count is with this but my flock does well on it. I don't know what to tell you on the feed.
I am thinking genetics is the culprit most of the time.
I'd def wrap and hopefully in a few days the wings will be fixed.
Okay. I can deal with it if it's genetics, since drakes are pretty much destined to be processed here, and none of my females seem to be getting it. I just would feel bad if he wasn't able to fly with his girls, and the other male might have to be processed instead of sold if his makes him land bound.

If it is a genetic one, will it come back? Or once he's full grown should he be in the clear?

Usually, once you wrap and they have the wing normal like it should be it doesn't come back. But if it is genetics he can pass it on to offspring.
it works best though while the flight feathers are growing in not after fully grown in.

Usually, once you wrap and they have the wing normal like it should be it doesn't come back. But if it is genetics he can pass it on to offspring.
it works best though while the flight feathers are growing in not after fully grown in.
If it is genetic, would it be wrong to breed and sell eggs and ducklings if I give a heads up in the ad that the father had it? Just because otherwise I'll have to get more ducklings next year to try and get another male

That I don't know. Might find some info online
found this and it says Drakes are more prone
https://www.metzerfarms.com/angel-wing.html
and interesting the person says it's nutritional more so than genetic. I don't know except I fed 20% protein from hatch on and never had it. But another thing is all my birds but 1 were hatched here and raised by mamas so they are out foraging at a very early age. maybe that has something to do with it too. My only duck [Indian Runner] that came from a hatchery and was raised by me didn't get it though. So I just don't know.
:idunno

Last edited:
My 12 yr old has been flying and boy is she good. she has 2 ducklings right now and if some how she walks to the back of the house and they are in the pool in the front all they have to do is start calling and she takes off flying and follows the walkway around the house so neat to see her maneuver so well around the obstacles. I was worried at first she'd end up outside the fence but she hasn't at all.

Back
Top Bottom