Feed for ducklings (poll)

What do you feed your ducklings from 1 day old, to 8 weeks old?

• Layer crumbles

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Medicated chick feed

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Non-Medicated chick feed

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
Medicated game bird starter, 28% for weeks 1-2, plus green, chick grit, niacin.

Medicated poultry feed 16% weeks 2-7, plus niacin, chick grit, greens.

After week 7, 20% turkey feed non-medicated, niacin, greens, fruit and veg when available, (no grit because they are moved outside and can harvest their own grit), flax seed, dry cat food.

That's what they stay on, until I add oyster shell about 4 months.

For the first couple of months I use Payback Waterfowl feed (20% protein) then I switch to Albers Waterfowl feed (16% protein). Chopped greens (dandelions, grass, Swiss chard, etc) daily from the beginning. I also give the ducklings probiotics in their water the first 2 weeks. Chick grit in a dish until I think they are big enough for the regular grit.

After they get old enough to lay then I give them Albers waterfowl and Layer pellets side by side (free choice of either in any quantity they wish). Oyster shell in a container and grit in another.

I guess i really should have thought about all these different starters. lol.... sorry guys
hide.gif

I feed non-medicated duck starter to 6 weeks, then non-medicated duck grower till about 20 weeks. After that they get layer pellets. At all ages they get greens (chopped up for the first 5 weeks or so) and peas (mushed up for the first week or so).

I used nutrena non med chick starter last time, but for my first batch of ducks I mixed my own duckling food to use up all of the gerber baby food/cereal my baby wouldn't eat. The gerber rice flakes were very niacin rich and my campbell ducklings did incredible on it. I even had a sickly runty duckie that probably would have normally died flourish, so I have my quasi "bantam" campbell :D

I did not supplement calcium because I didn't want them to eat too much. Once they were big enough to forage they went out in a "tractor" to eat bugs, grass, and watermelon and zucchini scraps from my garden each day.

Last edited:
Duck Girl, if you are trying to decide what to feed, I suggest that you cut protein levels way back as soon as wing feathers start to come in. You want to slow feather growth so that the muscles of the wings can keep up with the increasing weight. Heavy new feathers on weak baby wings can cause angel wing.

Once the wing feathers are in and the wing muscles are supporting them well, you can increase the protein.

Exercise also helps to prevent angel wing. If they have room to flap their wings and explore, it strengthens the muscles that support the wings.

Duck Girl, if you are trying to decide what to feed, I suggest that you cut protein levels way back as soon as wing feathers start to come in. You want to slow feather growth so that the muscles of the wings can keep up with the increasing weight. Heavy new feathers on weak baby wings can cause angel wing.

Once the wing feathers are in and the wing muscles are supporting them well, you can increase the protein.

Exercise also helps to prevent angel wing. If they have room to flap their wings and explore, it strengthens the muscles that support the wings.
Not really... I already have a feed to feed my ducklings. But never knew how angel wing was caused... thank you.

Back
Top Bottom