Feed for mixed flock

VRDinger

Chirping
Jan 5, 2021
North Texas
I have 2 laying hens and 5 that haven't started laying. I am still feeding them starter feed but give them oyster shells. Should I just switch to a layer feed since the younger pullets are almost at laying age?

No. Starter/grower or all flock is fine as long as you have the extra oyster shell available. They can stay on it forever if it's not medicated and works well for them.

The extra calcium in layer isn't ideal for pullets not laying yet (or roos if you had any). Free choice oyster shell gives those who need it access to any extra they need.

I've found ours do best on an all flock with 18-20% protein with oyster shell available.

I like a feed with 18% Protein. Layer feed 18% is expensive, so I feed a Non-medicated Starter Grower year round to my hens and pullets with Oyster Shells separately.
If you want to feed a Layers feed, I would wait till one of each breed is laying before changing. GC

Up to you. Though personally I wait until the majority of the pullets start laying before I start buying layer.

Other option as several others noted, is to just keep feeding non medicated starter, grower or all flock and supplement oyster shell on the side.

Should be fine, you can even dilute it down with some lower protein treats like scratch (not too much, you still want them eating their feed) or extra foraging time.
Thank you so much! I do have another feed question and I cannot figure out how to start a thread.... this question has been answered I'm sure but I'm confused. I have read that each chicken only needs 1/4 pound of food per day, others say they allow free access to feed all day. I think I feed more than that to my chickens but I would be afraid to give free access....am I misunderstanding something? And how does a quarter pound translate to cups?

Back
Top Bottom