Feed Management Methods [Poll]

How do you keep your Flock???

• Total voters
This is where my breeder birds range, we don't cut their field until late summer. There's apple, peach and mulberry trees, and blue flax all of which they really enjoy. Honestly I don't know what all they eat in there, after I let them out in the morning I often don't see them again until it's time to go to bed. This time of year they eat very little, if any, of their pellets.

View attachment 3153159
Can't wait till my acres of weeds fills in like this!

1/3 acre back yard??? That's a rarity. We had an apartment, then a house on 1/5th acre., then an apartment, then a house on one acre, and now we have 30. ...
How rare depends on region.

Similar to places that don't have basements (that took some adjusting), or mudrooms (WTH?), or windows that don't open much less the house have an attic fan. After living in such places, it becomes obvious why. Except the mudroom. Still see no conceivable reason not to have a mudroom.

1/3 acre lot, and 1/3 acre backyard are common in some of the regions we've lived.

I have 3 large coops, occasionally I'll let one flock out for alittle bit to snack on grass, & bugs.
I would love to start free ranging sometime, or keep a Semi-Feral flock to cut back on bugs, or possibly both.(We have 10 Acres)

Part of the reason I don't free range, is my dad keeps dropping Cigarette butts on the ground everywhere, & he likes using weed, & grass killer in certain areas.

Also, any tip for getting rid of Sumac that doesn't involve drowning them in poison? He hates Sumac.

Last edited:
How rare depends on region.

Similar to places that don't have basements (that took some adjusting), or mudrooms (WTH?), or windows that don't open much less the house have an attic fan. After living in such places, it becomes obvious why. Except the mudroom. Still see no conceivable reason not to have a mudroom.

1/3 acre lot, and 1/3 acre backyard are common in some of the regions we've lived.
we use "lot" to refer to the entire property. The back yard begins wherever the fence is on the sides of the house (or the back door, if there is no fence)and extends from there, so its definitionally smaller than the "lot" - and zoning rarely sets aside a "2 lot per acre" parcel, so we rarely have 1/3 acre back yards. They are usually smaller, or much larger.

My house is situated on an acre lot.

I have my chickens in the backyard with a coop and run.

They stay secure almost all the time.

When I'm working in the run I usually let them out to roam.

I have around six to seven hundred square feet of run for 15 chickens.

I have noticed that most of them are back in the run before I'm ready to close everything up.

They have pellet food available 24 hours a day.

Their water is fresh at all times as I have a hose that drips into a bowl constantly.

I will be able to give you a more definite square footage in a day or two.

Also, any tip for getting rid of Sumac that doesn't involve drowning them in poison? He hates Sumac.
What kind of Sumac? Because sumac can propagate from rhizomes you really need to kill the roots. We have invasive "stinky" sumac here that we cut down and apply a bit of brush killer to the stumps. I use an old sriracha bottle filled with concentrated brush killer, and just give 'em a little squirt.

What kind of Sumac? Because sumac can propagate from rhizomes you really need to kill the roots. We have invasive "stinky" sumac here that we cut down and apply a bit of brush killer to the stumps. I use an old sriracha bottle filled with concentrated brush killer, and just give 'em a little squirt.
I have no idea what kind it is. But my dad soaks it with RoundUp. After cutting it down at the trunk.

Back
Top Bottom