Feed Management Methods [Poll]

How do you keep your Flock???

• Total voters
Pics
Our small flock stays in their coop/run most of the time. Nothing in there for them except for feed, grit, and oyster shells (which they never touch).

Most afternoons I try to let them out for about 2.5 hours before dark. Then they have access to my yard, my compost pile (super annoying) , and old woods. There’s no fence. Theoretically they could go anywhere they want. I’m going to say they keep themselves to about 3 acres. They don’t wander farther than that.

How rare depends on region.

Similar to places that don't have basements (that took some adjusting), or mudrooms (WTH?), or windows that don't open much less the house have an attic fan. After living in such places, it becomes obvious why. Except the mudroom. Still see no conceivable reason not to have a mudroom.

1/3 acre lot, and 1/3 acre backyard are common in some of the regions we've lived.
My last home was a .33 acre corner lot in the suburbs (platted in the early 1950s). The non-corner lots were .25 acres. It may be an older practice, I remember similar layouts in places built up to the 80s.

My parents prefer newer construction and their last few suburban homes were tiny, standard sized, postage stamp yards where you could hold hands with your neighbors through your windows. I don't miss Raleigh...

You really don't have to use very much if you use the concentrate, when applied to a fresh cut stump it will soak right in and not contaminate the surrounding area.
It's the concentrated stuff I believe. He gets in the big jugs with squirt wand. He soaks the stump, & ground where the roots are for a few minutes, then moves to the next.

I've told once he doesn't need to drown them.

I can get pictures if I have time today. If not I could get a few pictures tomorrow.

If it's smooth or staghorn sumac, you'll see berry formations like this
R.-glabra.LFB-202174__68518.1627668166.png

Poison sumac has singular berries that grow sort of similar to cherries and droop down - a berry on a thin stem. They're also usually white.

Smooth and staghorn sumac have edible berries. The leaves are poisonous but have been used for medicinal properties by Indigenous peoples.

Back
Top Bottom