m1chelle1

Crowing
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 12, 2017
East Central Florida
Hi all!
Just looking to see if anyone buys feed from any local Florida feed mill? I’m looking to buy in bulk for my mixed flock, and hopefully get a bulk discount. Also wanting to support local businesses. Let me know if there any you know of and can recommend or anything. Thanks all! :hugs:wee
Cheers
M:bun

Attachments

• C8CC0329-6E0E-46C7-BDFD-A3549C894ABA.jpeg
    C8CC0329-6E0E-46C7-BDFD-A3549C894ABA.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 107
  • A7D1CA5F-092B-4BA5-A801-9495B088744B.jpeg
    A7D1CA5F-092B-4BA5-A801-9495B088744B.jpeg
    600 KB · Views: 16
  • 4FE0AFC8-8645-4F87-B0AE-440CA6AED838.jpeg
    4FE0AFC8-8645-4F87-B0AE-440CA6AED838.jpeg
    740 KB · Views: 15
  • 4FE598DD-2E91-4FCA-904A-4DE1C2A395CC.jpeg
    4FE598DD-2E91-4FCA-904A-4DE1C2A395CC.jpeg
    883.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 7079EB26-2518-4B2D-B751-603CF40E9B8F.jpeg
    7079EB26-2518-4B2D-B751-603CF40E9B8F.jpeg
    864.6 KB · Views: 12
Without knowing where in FL, a quick Google search for feed mills in Central FL brought up Swan's Feed Mill in Zephyrhills and Syfrett Feed Co. in Okeechobee. If you just Google Feed Mill near me or Feed Mill near zip code or city/state, you'll find options. Thanks for trying to support local! Also, your birds are pretty.

Florida is, as it turns out, a big state. There are two! feed mills local to me (w/i 50 miles) Harrell Milling Company, and Tucker Milling. To the best of my knowledge, neither supplies feed further south than Ocala, and thus likely still north of you.

If you are in the Orlando area of Central FL, likely best you can do is a family feed store buying from elsewhere. If you lean more towards Alachua, Pasco, Plant City you should have more options, like Swanns Feed Mill in Zephyrhills, and if more towards the Greater Daytona Beach area, fewer. Syfrett Mills in Okeechobie comes to mind.

awesome, thanks guys. yeah, i just want to call up places to do some price comparison and see who delivers (potentially) and where id have to pick up. Might be worth it for me to drive somewhere further (cost wise). Or might not. Who knows.

awesome, thanks guys. yeah, i just want to call up places to do some price comparison and see who delivers (potentially) and where id have to pick up. Might be worth it for me to drive somewhere further (cost wise). Or might not. Who knows.
I suspect you will find delivery to be quite expensive right now, for a host of reasons. Good luck!

It may also vary a lot with quantity needed. I tend to buy 600# of feed at a time+/-. Delivery currently would be about $80. Its about a 30 mile round trip for me, and an hour of my time. So it makes sense for me to do it myself, with a beat up sedan and an aluminum trailer (effective tow limit about 700#). If i needed more feed than I could transport and could reliably store it, that wouldn't make any sense. Back when deliver was $25, what I'm currently doing doesn't make sense...

I suspect you will find delivery to be quite expensive right now, for a host of reasons. Good luck!

It may also vary a lot with quantity needed. I tend to buy 600# of feed at a time+/-. Delivery currently would be about $80. Its about a 30 mile round trip for me, and an hour of my time. So it makes sense for me to do it myself, with a beat up sedan and an aluminum trailer (effective tow limit about 700#). If i needed more feed than I could transport and could reliably store it, that wouldn't make any sense. Back when deliver was $25, what I'm currently doing doesn't make sense...
ahh, yeah. ok. Good to know. think ill do the 300# layer mini pellet, 300# gamebird 24% and few 50# bags of waterfowl. Found a place somewhat close, Luzner (New Smyrna Beach) that does 17% layer instead of 16%, which i can appreciate. She said it was aprox 27c/lb, which I'm finding being about the going rate for central fl right now (for layer). Since the driving for us is only about 25 min one way, thinking with a trailer it would be the best option. Would save us, and is prob better than what im feeding right now.
TSC is just too expensive anymore, and I like supporting local (of course) as well as its probably fresher and better for the birds, and cheaper overall. Win, win :D

ahh, yeah. ok. Good to know. think ill do the 300# layer mini pellet, 300# gamebird 24% and few 50# bags of waterfowl. Found a place somewhat close, Luzner (New Smyrna Beach) that does 17% layer instead of 16%, which i can appreciate. She said it was aprox 27c/lb, which I'm finding being about the going rate for central fl right now (for layer). Since the driving for us is only about 25 min one way, thinking with a trailer it would be the best option. Would save us, and is prob better than what im feeding right now.
TSC is just too expensive anymore, and I like supporting local (of course) as well as its probably fresher and better for the birds, and cheaper overall. Win, win :D
I grew up in the Greater Daytona area, I know New Smyrna pretty well. Relatives there, lots of time at Riverside Park, which is at least close, if not on the sand bar. But I left the area before getting chickens. Will keep Luzner's in mind, next this question comes up - didn't know they existed.

I want this option in N FL! 😭
I'm in N FL (West - the Panhandle) We have two local feed mills. Harrell Milling (whom I use) and Tucker Milling (whom I have used). If you favor non-GMO and.or organic, you will have to go Tucker, they have some products in those lines. If price is your primary concern, I've been very happy with HMC.

If you are in N FL (between JAX and T'hassee) we looked at property in that area but decided not to buy, I didn't research the local feed mills. Sorry.

Also, welcome (back) to BYC @FridayGirl72

Back
Top Bottom