Feed Price Roll Back --- Wow

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Fred's Hens, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since we were heading in that direction yesterday, I stopped in at the feed mill. I was surprised to find a solid price roll back on the layer mash.

$17.75 for hundred pounds. That only $8.86 a 50 lbs. That is HALF what our TSC charges for Layena. Wonderful. Yes, it is mash, which I like, and yes, it is local ground. This is Hubbard Feed, a respected name in the feed business. It is complete 17% protein layer feed. Excellent.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    <~~~~~ Jealous

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    What a great deal! I was at TSC last week and asked for help in loading a 50lb bag of chick feed into my cart. The mgr helped me. There was a bag that had a hole in it that was taped up - but the bag was only about 1/2 full. He asked if I wanted it for $5 off the regular price. That didn't sound like a good deal to me. So I said, no I'd take a full bag at the regular price. He then said - what if I sold you the half full bag for $1. Now THAT was a deal! Sold!

4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Are you in MI? I'm paying that for a 50 lb bag right now.

5. Fred's Hens

Country Feed, Mio, MI

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    As am I. Cheapest I've been able to find locally if $13.25 a bag. Purina priced me out of their market last year.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a find!

8. Fred's Hens

I've been dealing with the feed mill for about a year. I've been paying 19.75 so the roll back to $17.75 was very happily received. This takes some pressure off our egg business. There is a limit to what our customers can pay. This helps our margin, so I'm pleased not to have to face the impossible choice of having to decrease our margin or raise egg prices. Glad to postpone that decision a whole lot longer.

By the way, this is BYOB, or Bring Your Own Bag. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    I know the post is old but had to comment. I am jealous!

The cheapest I have found anywhere is a brand called Kalmbach which is $14.99 for a #50 bag. I'm still feeding it which is a 22% starter/grower. I'll be switching to layer the next bag I need and it is a few bucks cheaper, Same company!

10. 7961

7961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    MI
    I have been feeding Kalmbach 20% Starter feed for about a month now. So far so good. The birds like it. The last bags that I bought were $13.50 per 50 lb bag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by