Feed prices

Local "feed" stores may or may not give you any better price than TSC, which by all accounts, isn't cheap. If all they do is sell trucked in feed bags, it is unlikely.

What I recommend everyone try to find, if they possibly can, is a true local mill. A place that has local sources of corn and soybeans (the two pricey and main ingredients) that mill or grind the feed, right on the spot, and sacks it in non-descript mill bags. These places add all the quality ingredients: minerals, vita-pak, calcium, etc, and often sell for $5 a 50# less than a TSC can sell you a "brand name" feed. How? Simple really. Far less hands in the profit chain, plain packaging, and no trucking costs.

For folks on a tight budget and those freaking out over rising feed costs, searching a 50 miles radius to find such a place is essential. Just google feed and your home town and start searching. Some of these places are tucked away and are not well-known, except by the hundreds of their loyal customers.

Local "feed" stores may or may not give you any better price than TSC, which by all accounts, isn't cheap. If all they do is sell trucked in feed bags, it is unlikely.

Not necessarily. I run my own feed store that trucks in feed, and I share a building with my husband's business. I'm my only employee, although sometimes I borrow my husband and his brother. Low overhead allows me to make sure my stuff is less than TSC-and I'm hope I'm not the *only* small feed store like this.​

Quote:
Not necessarily. I run my own feed store that trucks in feed, and I share a building with my husband's business. I'm my only employee, although sometimes I borrow my husband and his brother. Low overhead allows me to make sure my stuff is less than TSC-and I'm hope I'm not the *only* small feed store like this.

"May or may not". As I said. Good for you. How much lower, if I may ask?

Most local feed mills use a Mixer, Concentrate or a Chicken Supplement when they mix there own feed.
Hubbard, Kent (Blueseal/Ever Green), Buckeye, Kalmbach etc. all produce either a Mixer, Concentrate or a Chicken Supplement that all you have to do is add ground corn to.

The supplement that I use to mix my feed on my farm I get from the local mill and it is ---

Crude Protein, min ....................................... .38.0%
Lysine, min ................................................... .2.2%
Methionine, min ........................................... .0.86%
Crude Fat, min ............................................... .1.0%
Crude Fiber, max ........................................... .6.0%
Calcium (Ca), min ......................................... .3.5%
Calcium (Ca), max ......................................... .4.5%
Phosphorus (P), min ....................................... .1.6%
Salt (NaCl), min ............................................ .1.0%
Salt (NaCl), max ............................................ .1.5%

Chris

I've been paying over $15 per bag of Layena for well over a year. I never really noticed it increasing, but it was $12, 7 years ago. Since I only have 3-4 chickens at a time it's not a problem, but for those of you with lots of chickens; it must add up tremendously over time.

Imp

I am getting laying mash for $7.00 25lb bag and scratch for $7.00 25lb bag. I get it from a locally owned feed mill. I need to start buying the bigger bags, 100lb but I don't have a place for bags that large.

We do have a feed mill close by I'll go see about. This is the kind that has about 20 road tractors that service the broiler and layer houses. They have those big triple silos. Maybe they will sell to me, maybe not.
hmm.png

Fred's Hens :

.........What I recommend everyone try to find, if they possibly can, is a true local mill. A place that has local sources of corn and soybeans (the two pricey and main ingredients) that mill or grind the feed, right on the spot, and sacks it in non-descript mill bags. These places add all the quality ingredients: minerals, vita-pak, calcium, etc, and often sell for $5 a 50# less than a TSC can sell you a "brand name" feed. How? Simple really. Far less hands in the profit chain, plain packaging, and no trucking costs.......

Watch what the local mills use and compare everything they add with the others.

In the case of the feed we use the local mill does not include a source of prebiotics, essential oils, or organic selenium. If the feed mills is using quality additives and formulating to amino acid and available phosphorus content then the feed should be a good one.

Jim​

Back
Top Bottom