Feed problem

Magriet

Songster
Oct 10, 2020
Pretoria, South Africa
Does anyone have advice for picky geese. We could not get the brand we usually buy so we baught another brand. The geese refuse to eat it! It is not available in small quantities so we sit with 50 kilogram! Is there something I can do?

They are 9 weeks old. The grass is not enough. They are the first time I have had goslings and I think they are a miracle

Attachments

• 20211125_085130.jpg
    20211125_085130.jpg
    948.5 KB · Views: 9
Unfortunately I do not have of the old feed. The new ones are really bad, we are having a lot of rain at the moment and even though it is dry it is disintegrating from the moisture. My husband has to sift it to get rid of all the "dust" it makes. I think we are going to have to buy the correct feed and just throw these out. The wild birds seem to love it! They are eating more of it than the geese.

Unfortunately I do not have of the old feed. The new ones are really bad, we are having a lot of rain at the moment and even though it is dry it is disintegrating from the moisture. My husband has to sift it to get rid of all the "dust" it makes. I think we are going to have to buy the correct feed and just throw these out. The wild birds seem to love it! They are eating more of it than the geese.
Picky Geese seem to be a normal thing around my place, been through allot of changes in the last 3 years and have found something they all agree on.
I was growing fodder (sprouting from grains) for a while they loved it at day 2 of sprouting would play with it at day 4 and turn there noise at it when it got older.
I now ferment there grain for 3 days and nothing goes to wast. They have free choice of Duck Pellets at all times and grass hay. (we have been in a drought so they are on 2 acres of no grass)
My Mix is still a work in the making but right now this is what there gobbling up.
Whole grains 90% (mostly wheat)
Split peas, Black oil sunflower seeds whole, Lentils, 10%
Soak and stir for 3 days in Non-chlorinated water. with a little apple cider vinegar or pickle juice.
Scoop out half in the morning sprinkle with flax seeds and feed
Scoop out the rest in afternoon add Fish oil and Niacin

Sprinkle Oyster Shell in there pasture.

Fermenting is easy takes me about 10 min a day. Im still doing fodder but for my ducks.
Still reading about things I can add to the fermentation so always a work in progress

Thanks, I am sprouting corn, I know it is mostly starch but I had a look and the corn is 12% protein and this rubbish food we bought is only 13% so not much difference! Fortunately we had good rain and they are eating quite a bit of grass but there is not enough. We re seriously considering throwing this bad feed out, take the loss and buy the stuff they like!

I know, that is why we are considering just tossing what we have and buying the correct stuff. Fortunately it is not cold out and we are giving some vitamins etc. in their water that is for molting, as the geese and gander is molting, and it has some amino acids in it as well. Their condition looks pretty good but we are not happy with this feed. The sprouted corn was only supposed to be a little treat every day.

Thanks, I am sprouting corn, I know it is mostly starch but I had a look and the corn is 12% protein and this rubbish food we bought is only 13% so not much difference! Fortunately we had good rain and they are eating quite a bit of grass but there is not enough. We re seriously considering throwing this bad feed out, take the loss and buy the stuff they like!
By sprouting your turning the starch to digestible sugars that can be absorbed in-digestion. Good Job!

Back
Top Bottom