Feed recommendation

TheStooges

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
Savannah, TN
I have a mill relatively close to me that I would LOVE to get my feed from. Here’s the issue/question. Right now I feed an all flock with free choice oyster/egg shell. And I supplement with brewers yeast for the extra niacin. My only choices at this mill are 16% layer, 21% layer or starter. I didn’t think males were supposed to get layer. Will none of those work?
I have pullets, ducks, a drake, a goose and a gander.
thank you!!

I have a mill relatively close to me that I would LOVE to get my feed from. Here’s the issue/question. Right now I feed an all flock with free choice oyster/egg shell. And I supplement with brewers yeast for the extra niacin. My only choices at this mill are 16% layer, 21% layer or starter. I didn’t think males were supposed to get layer. Will none of those work?
I have pullets, ducks, a drake, a goose and a gander.
thank you!!
From what I've read it doesn't matter if the males get the layer.

I want to see the labels. Because the names on the feeds are just suggestions, they don't mean much on their own. With that caveat, "Starter" is likely your best bet. What Brand, maybe they have a web page???

"Layer" usually means (relatively) low protein, (relatively) hich calcium. Excess Calcium is bad for all males, anything that lays infrequently, and anything that's not yet laying. I don't recommend.

I want to see the labels. Because the names on the feeds are just suggestions, they don't mean much on their own. With that caveat, "Starter" is likely your best bet. What Brand, maybe they have a web page???

"Layer" usually means (relatively) low protein, (relatively) hich calcium. Excess Calcium is bad for all males, anything that lays infrequently, and anything that's not yet laying. I don't recommend.
They only have a Facebook page. It’s coop’d up feed. In TN

Listen to stormcrow!
And do look at the labels, rather than the titles. A separate feeder containing oyster shell works fine, with a lower calcium diet. The feed must be labeled for ducks, not only chickens! And the mill dates need to be on each bag, so you are feeding it within two months, don't use old feed.
Your local mill might be wonderful, or not. The big mills assay each load of ingredients, so the actual nutritional profile is known. It matters!
Mary

Listen to stormcrow!
And do look at the labels, rather than the titles. A separate feeder containing oyster shell works fine, with a lower calcium diet. The feed must be labeled for ducks, not only chickens! And the mill dates need to be on each bag, so you are feeding it within two months, don't use old feed.
Your local mill might be wonderful, or not. The big mills assay each load of ingredients, so the actual nutritional profile is known. It matters!
Mary
Oh wow okay. Seems fussy! I just thought local and “fresher” would be better. Maybe I shouldn’t change!

Back
Top Bottom