1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed requirments?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jesusfreak101, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    i have chickens, duck and possibly quails if they hatch. Would an all flock raiser be ok its 20% protien or would i need to get a game bird feed and if so could i feed that to my chickens and ducks?

2. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    Not sure what part of Texas your in but try to find a feed store that carries Bryant game bird 28%. This week it was $12.05 for 50# bag. I see no reason you couldn't feed it to your chickens and ducks.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Gamebirds (quail,pheasants,partridge,turkeys,peafowl)ned a gamebird feed.It has meds in there to control blackhead which is deadly to gamebirds.Plus gamebirds need around a 28% protein feed.This % is too hi for chickens and ducks and may cause them anglewing.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    I went to tractor supply and all the game bird feed they have has less protien then the all flock raiser there only one other feed store with in reasonable distance from me i check there. But thinking maybe increasing the protien by other means if possible.

5. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Maybe just feed them mealworms and crickets along with the flock raiser to get their protein levels up.
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Gamebird feed is becoming harder and harder to find in a lot of farm/feed stores I've noticed. One way to accommodate different feed requirements for your particular flock would be to use a "creep feeder" approach for the quail -- their size compared to that of the chickens and ducks would make this system work well as the quail would be able to access any gamebird feed you are able to find/choose to use while keeping the larger birds out of it.

7. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    What about something like scrambled eggs would that work? Meal worms around me are very expensive and i am not raising that one.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What is the name of the medication in game bird feed?

9. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I believe it is basatration.Not sure of the spelling.
    In N.H.,Tony.

10. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Make sure when you hatch and brood your chicks to keep the quail separate from the chickens and ducks. They can get diseases from the chickens that can make them sick and possibly die. It's also a good way to keep them from competing for food because the quail will be much smaller.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by