Feed sack recycling ideas??

Pics
One year I used plastic lined paper dog food bags in between rows of vegetables to keep down weeds in my garden - I suppose feed bags would work better and then need to be thrown out at the end of the season.

But my favorite use is making tote bags which I use for groceries- they are super durable. Check pinterest for patterns. I would like to find a pattern for a snowboard bag for my son.

does anyone have any ideas on what to do w/all the feed sacks one collects? I use a couple for recycling (cardboard, cans, #1 plastic), and I wipe off my dog food bags & use them for wrapping packages (inside out so I can use the blank side for addressing). Oh, and I use them as trash bags too.
My sister-in-law takes all our feed bags and makes them into tote bags. The result is a very sturdy bag for use anywhere. You can get ideas and patterns online (Pinterest, etc.,). Recycle, recycle, recycle.

I use some as trash bags, but I've got more than I need for that purpose. I'm going to experiment with using some as a mulch layer in the vegetable garden.
I wouldn't advise using feed bags that are out of woven plastic as a mulch layer in the garden. Exposed to rain and sun they will desintegrate quite rapidly and you'll have little plastics pieces all over your garden. Quite a mess.
But I too am packing away feed bags for future use... I would love to know a real good way to reuse them apart from what all of you above have already mentioned.
As I don't have instiutionalized garbage disposal everything stays on my property - and that's a real problem.

I wouldn't advise using feed bags that are out of woven plastic as a mulch layer in the garden. Exposed to rain and sun they will desintegrate quite rapidly and you'll have little plastics pieces all over your garden. Quite a mess.
But I too am packing away feed bags for future use... I would love to know a real good way to reuse them apart from what all of you above have already mentioned.
As I don't have instiutionalized garbage disposal everything stays on my property - and that's a real problem.
That's a good point about the plastic disintegrating. I may need to learn how to sew, as tote bags seem like the best idea.

That's a good point about the plastic disintegrating. I may need to learn how to sew, as tote bags seem like the best idea.
How do you get the feed bags cleaned? For example, the greasy dog food bags. Open them up and scrub them down? Inside out and scrubbed? How do you get the seams cleaned?

I use mine to load up shredded yard waste (pre composted and post composted wood chips) and haul to the house. Easier to bag it once, than shovel to the truck & then shovel to the wheel barrow and haul to the desired spot. Work great until I leave them in the sun for a week or so and the bags fall apart. They are NOT UV stable by any stretch.

Used them on the chicken tractor and got one season out before the bags just started disintegrating. Store bought tarps that are not UV stabilized have same issues. UV stabilizers are important for long term use. After they start breaking down, to the dump. I haven't found a good use for shredded plastic.

They are NOT UV stable by any stretch.

Used them on the chicken tractor and got one season out before the bags just started disintegrating.
I found that to be the best use for them, the good news is that I have a steady supply coming in so I can just replace them frequently. The angle they face the sun determines how long they last. Face them like a solar panel catching rays and they last a month maybe 2, face them North or keep them in a mostly shaded area you can stretch them out to a year

Back
Top Bottom