Feed sack recycling ideas??

I found this idea on Pinterest....

View attachment 1803896
Love it! I only have a few feed bags and I use the space between the wall planks for ventilation but maybe tacked to the wood door....

Have to run that by DH. He’s very proud of the reclaimed wood doors he made - they are beautiful and so functional. I love them. But a cute feed bag ‘poster’ might be just the thing!

Also had this idea...

I use a wire cage for securing hens while prepping medicine or inspecting them or whatever. It only has open wide wire bottom - great for using as broody jail. But I put in an old towel for regular caging to make it easier on their feet and if I have to carry them in it.

The idea is to use a feed bag to make a low loft pillow (lightly filled with maybe plastic store bags?) with ties to attach it to the corners of the cage. It would provided softness, a floor for carrying, and be easily wiped down. I’m washing and bleaching poop towels too often! And be removable for when the cage is needed for broody jail.

I’m going to have to find time to do this. I’m using that cage all the time right now.

It ain't pretty but I slapped it together today. I have a small run under a cheap slap together coop and my feeder is under the coop in a corner. I used Feed bags as splash guards to get water out of the feeder I keep in the corner under the coop. I could make it all neat and tight but there is an access door under those bags and making it neat and tight would prevent me from opening the access door. These bags will not last long but I have more bags and likely I will end up with a longer term solution from discarded construction materials. When using bags like this the work better upside down so water that gets into the bags falls out.
0.jpeg

Okay, y'all this might blow your minds. We save all of ours and when winter comes, we tack them onto our coop with zip ties. For our hoophouse design it is great. Keeps out the drafts and easy to put on/take off. (the coop is heavy enough that it won't make it blow away). Also- much cheaper and more durable than tarps we have found. Even the thirty dollar amazon ones that are UV/weather resistant! They also make good weed fabric/plastic mulch.

I almost forgot this one and I had just done this one over the last month! To introduce my newbies to the hens I used this dog cage. I put it in place a week before newbies arrived to get the hens used to it.
On top are 2 small sheets of plywood each covering half of the top. That was to prevent the hens jumping up and pooping on the Newbies. The feed bags were cut open and stapled on top to make poop clean up easier. It also kept any rain drips from getting into the cage. Wynnie and Eggsmerelda are wondering what this strange thing means.
20190506_121108.jpg

Okay, y'all this might blow your minds. We save all of ours and when winter comes, we tack them onto our coop with zip ties. For our hoophouse design it is great. Keeps out the drafts and easy to put on/take off. (the coop is heavy enough that it won't make it blow away). Also- much cheaper and more durable than tarps we have found. Even the thirty dollar amazon ones that are UV/weather resistant! They also make good weed fabric/plastic mulch.
Thats a great use for them, I cover coops in winter with that if I need a water barrier, usually I use cardboard though. And sometimes I put cardboard in the feed sack too for extra insulation along with repelling water.

I used, to put all the poop we collect from the coop, and my concrete outdoor floors, because we let then free for about two hours every day, and my good, I pick up a lot...
i don't used for compost because i have a very small garden

I thought up another use which I haven't implemented yet (if I do)>... I need a temp gutter installed on one coop because water needs to be diverted until I can fix the foundation issue. If we get rain before I can get the concrete blocks to fix the issue I may be making temp gutters out of feed bags... currently the dust bathing area gets flooded from water running off the coop roof.

Back
Top Bottom