Feed sack recycling ideas??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Edie53, Jun 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Edie53

Edie53 Chirping

Apr 28, 2019
    does anyone have any ideas on what to do w/all the feed sacks one collects? I use a couple for recycling (cardboard, cans, #1 plastic), and I wipe off my dog food bags & use them for wrapping packages (inside out so I can use the blank side for addressing). Oh, and I use them as trash bags too.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    One year I filled them with leaves in the fall and put them between coop studs as insulation.

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I use them to store dried leaves from fall for the rest of the year, to dump into the run and the compost.

I use them as nest box padding - if you fold them to fit your box exactly the chickens can't dislodge them, and they can be tossed if they become soiled.

4. Morrigan

Morrigan Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2014
    N. California
    I use some as trash bags, but I've got more than I need for that purpose. I'm going to experiment with using some as a mulch layer in the vegetable garden.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  5. so lucky

so lucky Songster

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    If you are talking about the sort of woven plastic feed bags, there are patterns around for making tote bags out of them. Especially cool if the bag is brand name, like Layena or something with a pretty picture on it. I think some people make them to sell at craft fairs and farmers' markets.

6. so lucky

so lucky Songster

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I guess one would say there are tutorials on the net, not patterns. I just googled and there are several.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Songster

Jun 26, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I use them to line the bottom of my brooder. One Nutrena bag fits the dimensions of my brooder almost perfectly, though I wish I had made made it a foot longer. I like the nest box idea. You could line poop boards with them as well. We also use the bags to throw rocks in around the yard and garden because they are stout.

8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

I've heard of those. What about a smaller version (similar to a zippered make-up bag) that you could put your money from selling your egg money in?

9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Thank's for that brooder idea! I won't have to keep buying those puppy pee-pad's.

10. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    These puzzle me. The bags my feed come in have kind of a shiny, smooth, almost waxy surface on the outside. They are tough and crinkly. I can't imagine using them for a tote bag or any absorbent purpose like poop boards! Containers for rocks, leaves, grass clippings, yes, I can see that. What am i missing? :idunno

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: