feed storage idea

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cjstanman, Jan 1, 2009.

1. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    Right now my feed bags are on the floor just inside the front door, which is not really the look I was going for, lol. I saw these on Craigslist and picked up two for $20 each. They are very durable, thick plastic barrels that originally held 200 lbs. of sodium carbonate (aka washing soda or soda ash) so nothing horrible was in there originally. I washed them out and once they are completely dry, I'm going to store my feed in one and pine shavings in another, and put them *outside*, what a concept! [​IMG]

Once you put the lid on, the ring goes around the edge and the lever clamps the whole thing down reallllly tight so I don't think any critters can get in there. I had thought about the metal-trash-can-plus-bungee-cord idea but then I saw these instead.

[​IMG]

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Great idea. I use heavy duty plastic trash cans to store my feed in. Done it for years and its always worked great.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I use galvanized cans and have a couple of Rubbermaids. They work great. Just keep in mind to check them over periodically because mice and rats can chew through the plastic.

4. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I use galvanized cans now, use to use the rubbermaid but the squirrels started chewing on the lids to get inside..so got my feed in the metal now and no problems...

5. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i found a small chest freezer that no one uses anymore i can get 100 pounds of feed in it and it last me about a month and ahalf i keep it right in the coop. check your local transfer station sometimes u can find dead freezers great for grain storage.

6. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    [​IMG] we just use rubbermaid containers

7. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    I use food grade 55 gal drums with lids

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I used to use a big plastic garbage can, but once I found a mouse inside (when I was reaching for the feed scoop, it jumped at me... argh!), I switched to the metal cans.

9. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    We use the 35 lb buckets that the cat's litter comes in. One for corn and one for feed. DH just washes them out good first and dries them in the sun. Its really nice because they snap tight and have a split lid for opening.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use 5/6 gallon buckets that I get from a local donut and breakfast place. The lids seal nicely. I bought a metal tool to take the lids off easier. I have covered sheds next to my barn where I store the buckets with feed, treats (sunflower, oats, scratch, wild birdseed, etc). Best of all the buckets are free. If I need more buckets, I just ask the ahead of time and they will save me some. Other people around here do it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by