Feed storage to keep mites out

speedyfuzzball

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Long Island, NY
I am so grossed out right now. I went to refill my chickens food and found grain mites everywhere!!! I keep the 50 lb bag in the basement and a large pitcher of feed next to the back door to refill the food. I refill the pitcher when it runs out. I see mites all over the pitcher and the bag. Im going out to buy new food now but I would really appreciate some advice on how to store feed so it won't become infested with these nasty things. I was thinking air tight containers but where would I find an air tight container to fit 50 lb of feed. Also doesn't help that it's my parents house and I can't have them find out. Also how do I get rid of them and make sure they don't get into the new bag. The old one will be thrown out

I store my feed in five gallon buckets. (Takes two to hold a bag of feed.) After I pour it into the buckets, I sprinkle a half-cup of DE on top and shake it down a bit, then put the lid on. Haven't had a bug problem since I started doing this -- used to get weevils pretty often.

I use those small blue barrels that many companies throw away with seal-able lockable tops.

Mine come from a company that makes vitamin pills - they get the raw materials in these containers and either throw them away or sell them on for $10-15 (all are food grade)

I use them to keep BOSS, grain, feed, DE, sand and pine shavings - they are water-tight as well, so can be stored anywhere.

The photo shows a couple outside the old coop on the right. They are the best things ever for storage.

Last edited:
Thanks guys
I tried at Home Depot for the 5 gallon buckets but it seems they don't have the lid? How can I be sure the DE is safe for consumption? They can't label it as food grade if it really isn't right?
The blue barrels sound like a good idea too but I have no idea where to find companies like that. I don't think I have a vitamin company near me?
How long will these mites live on their own without food? They're in my basement :( I'm leaving the new bag of feed outside for now

Back
Top Bottom