Feed store error - please help me identify this baby

ericadenise

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2016
Vancouver, WA
I asked for a Black Jersey Giant pullet and this is what I got. My first assumption is she's a barred rock. Is there a chance it is anything else but that? Secondly, anyone want to guess the sex? I think the chickies is between 1 and 2 weeks (totally guessing)
[/IMG]

What color are the legs/bottom of feet under the wash? They appear yellow in what can be seen in the photo, but want to be sure. If so, yes, BR is the most likely answer. Gender will have to wait a few more weeks.

Right now it is really hard to tell the gender out judging by the comb im guessing a cockeral might be wrong but thats a guess.

He is a rooster.. Barred Rock pullets have dark streaking on legs and toes. Your little guy only has a tiny bit of dark which indicates roo.
Also, it's possible that he could be a Black Sex Link rooster.. Black Sex Link roosters look exactly like Barred rocks. Also he has the white under his chin, indicating Black Sex Link. Either way, he is a rooster.

He is a rooster.. Barred Rock pullets have dark streaking on legs and toes. Your little guy only has a tiny bit of dark which indicates roo.
Also, it's possible that he could be a Black Sex Link rooster.. Black Sex Link roosters look exactly like Barred rocks. Also he has the white under his chin, indicating Black Sex Link. Either way, he is a rooster.

The wash "rule" is not at all accurate in dealing with hatchery stock - it is more reliable with specific lines of birds where outcrossing to increase production, etc is not as much of an issue. Many hatchery or production grade barred rock pullets lack the dark leg wash so many associate with them. This chick is still too young to be sexed by characteristic. As the chick feathers out, OP, you will have a better idea of gender as there *is* a reliable difference in the barring of males and females due to the genetics involved.

The wash "rule" is not at all accurate in dealing with hatchery stock - it is more reliable with specific lines of birds where outcrossing to increase production, etc is not as much of an issue.  Many hatchery or production grade barred rock pullets lack the dark leg wash so many associate with them.  This chick is still too young to be sexed by characteristic.  As the chick feathers out, OP, you will have a better idea of gender as there *is* a reliable difference in the barring of males and females due to the genetics involved. 

I agree, and thank you for pointing that out! :)

Back
Top Bottom