Feed store guy said -

Glad to read all these opinions and first hand experiences... I have five in the incubator now and they should hatch in exactly two weeks. I didn't quite think that far ahead, yet! I will get cracking on a brooder box. Our nights here in central PA have been pretty chilly, so I will most likely keep them inside. Good to know that they will chirp if they need something, too!

Thanks, all, for the info! Cannot wait til they hatch!
big_smile.png

Quote:
yeah give the option of extra heat for 5, they are really really loud if they are unhappy from being too cold or scared, if the yare too hot they tend to just die so don't over do it.

(try turning the light off suddenly in their room to see how loud they can be.)

Feed store guy said

Never, ever, ever listen to what the "clerk" at the feed store says. He/she is probably not even from a farming family background. I was looking at tools one day and the clerk asked me what I needed, I said I'm looking for a "cresent-hammer". He actually tried to find one. I was in a mood that day and when he came back saying he didn't carry those, I said " Thats okay, I'll take this Mexican socket set instead" as I carried the cresent wrench to the checkout.

I picked up a heat lamp today... got a red one. Don't know if there's a difference between red and clear infrared light? It's a 250W bulb. I'm hoping I can use it in my hardware lamp? I plan on putting it at one end of the brooder box and giving the chicks the option of hanging out on that end or going to the cooler end of the box.

I bought two pullets from a farm store a month ago. They told me that they were Ameraucanas and they would lay green eggs. Wrong and wrong. They turned out to be Russian Orloffs and will lay brown eggs. I wasn't too bummed because Orloffs are pretty rare and I enjoy having them. Just means I need to add a few more chickens to the family!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom