Feed store guy said -

I'll second the heat pad. I put a heating pad in a pillow case, lay it on the bottom of a smaller cardboard box, then put a stuffed creature on top of the heating pad so the chicks can snuggle. They have a large brooder box to wander around in, if the heating pad is too warm. Worked well in the spring, will use it again in two weeks.
big_smile.png

Does anyone know where I can get a heat pad that doesn't shut itself off? I had some abandoned kittens that I was trying to keep alive and I looked everywhere for one so they could stay warm and I couldn't find one. The longest they would stay on is 2 hrs.

Quote:
Uh...on purpose?

Heh, this made me LOL
smile.png

(Our house gets up to 90 when it's hot out, only stays about 10 degrees cooler inside than outside - no AC here.)

Same as everyone said. You can buy 75W red lightbulbs in the landscaping section at Walmart usually. I like those better than the 250W ones at the feed store- those make me worry about burning my house down (plus the 75W doesn't get as hot - they're plenty hot, but not as bad as 250W - good with little 3.5 y/o fingers around). I can do heat control in a small area much easier with the 75W bulbs. Folks say the red light makes pecking less likely. I like them because it drives my hubby nuts - I brood on a table that's against the front window, so at night, he says it looks like the "red light district".

The batch that we hatched during the July heat wave used a 100 watt light bulb for the first three days only. I put them on the enclosed porch where the normal temp was 90 or so and they were just fine. You have to watch their behavior and listen to the cheeps. They will tell you what they need if you pay attention, just like a human baby. Watch, observe, think! If they are quiet and spread out, they are quite happy. If you hear them crying, start looking for what is wrong!

OK - this all backs up what I thought! I just had to ask, in case he was right! I do have the reflector thingy - just needed a new bulb for it, but I'll put in a household bulb. I've a large cage that I can put a heatpad in part of, so I may also do that. Right now chicky #1 is still in the incubator waiting on her hatchlings to make it out so I have time to play around with a set up.
Thanks all for your quick responses.

I have 30 1 day old white rock meaties came home today!
woot.gif

They are in my mares stall ( she is banished to her pasture for the duration!
ep.gif
) in a large plastic childrens wading pool with about 2 inches of wood chips. Double layer of chicken wire stapled over the opening above the stall door to keep out varmints! ( OK,,that should say our cats)

I lay a few double sheets of paper towel down and sprinkle food on it so they can scratch too.
At one end is a brooder lamp set to high, other end brooder lamp set to low, food and two waterers in between!

In the daytime when it is a bit warmer, they romp around the end of the pool with the light on low, at night they head to the warmer end.

Works like a charm! Easy to clean, etc!

rant.gif
Somebody ought to give the feed store guy a slap upside the head! Of course the lil fuzzbutts need heat!!
jumpy.gif

Mine don't get extra heat unless they complain - Several different broods with no losses till after moved outside.

if there are a group of them (10ish) 70*F is ok in my experience. I have a post elsewhere on this.

I did close the vent for the room (no drafts) and block under the door.

Back
Top Bottom