feed - the more you read the more confusing it gets

You should definately have your feed & water available 24/7.
The scratch should be just a treat, its like candy.

For my birds, I just sprinkle a little bit in the morning when I let them out. They'll peck it from my hand too. Its our good morning time.

Quote:
Heh, if they want to live!
smile.png
j/k

Quote:
well they might like it and you might wanna start them on crumbles since pellets are bigger and they will think the crumble is what they are use to until they try it and if they dont then they will get hungry and if they get hungry enough they will be sure to eat it

Chickens need starter til about 8 weeks, then grower til point of lay, then layer. Hens should probably have oyster shell available after point of lay, and they all should have grit available after they go outdoors or start eating grains, although in some soils/situations there will be plenty of grit available on the ground. Cracked corn and scratch are treats which they don't need at all. It's OK to give a little scratch or cracked corn, but, like any treat, the quantity should be quite limited. Roosters do fine on the same regimen as hens, although if you house roosters separately, a little different regimen would be more ideal, and I don't know what that is, because mine are in with my hens.

Chickens raised on corn or scratch are usually not as large, healthy or productive as those raised on regular feed.

To catch the fox, you have to become the fox...............why do the chickens like the cracked corn better than the pellet????????

Let's see....I will set you down to dinner......here's a whole pot roast, with no knife or fork................... and i will not let you use your hands to eat it....only your mouth............like a pie eating contest......................on the other plate is sliced pot roast, already cut into bite size pieces..... a knife and a fork..............and your hands are not tied behind your back..................I wonder which you will eat......

Jim
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom