feed with not enough protein

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Ardizzone7, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I am planning on raising some turkeys for butchering this spring. I have been looking at our local Rural King at different feeds and can not find any with protein higher than 24%. I know 28% is needed. Can I add something to the feed to bring it up to 28% or is there somewhere I can get 28% on the internet?

2. We just fed ours the chicken food so sorry can't help, I always thought 28% was for guineas

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Most feed stores will order it for you if you ask. You can raise a turkey on lower protien feed but it will not thrive as well. They need the 28-30% for the first 12 weeks or so and then 20% thereafter. You can raise a puppy on adult dog food but will he do as well as one from the same litter on puppy food?

4. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    Thank you! I will ask if they will order some for me. [​IMG] If they can not, is there somewhere to order it? Also I am in northeastern Indiana is anyone knows of a good feed store to get it from.

5. ColbyNTX

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    There are many on-line places but the shipping is more than the feed. If you have any purina feed store then ask them to order the gamebird starter for you. Gamebird starter is eaiser to find then turkey starter. I am sure that your nearest feedstore has a simi-local mill and I am sure if they make chick starter then they make gamebird or turkey starter.

6. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    Thanks!

7. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

Game bird starter to start, then Purina Flock Raiser thereafter. Happy, healthy turkeys [​IMG]

8. ColbyNTX

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

Game bird starter to start, then Purina Flock Raiser thereafter. Happy, healthy turkeys [​IMG]

yep!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  9. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    Nutrena feeds makes a Turkey/Game Bird starter that is 28% protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by