Feeder Dilemma

M

member 593900

I’m having the hardest time figuring out what kind of feeder to use, and was hoping someone with the same issues could help me narrow it down (or maybe I just want to whine, who’s to say?). After spending 6 hours yesterday scrubbing and sanitizing my coop and equipment in a spring cleaning effort, I’ve decided I need to make this much lower maintenance for my future sanity.

I’m going to have a permanent flock of 20 layers by the end of the year. Theoretically, this means ~5lbs of feed a day. I’ve been using a standard gravity fed, topless hanging feeder, but I’m dissatisfied with the way it lets in water and cakes the feed, and my chickens tend to swing it around and drop feed all over the ground. It’s not the hardest to clean, but not the easiest, either.

I’m aiming for a dishwasher-safe feeder. Ideally, I want it to be a size that just holds enough feed for one day that I can swap out with a clean one every morning. I want it to be covered, off the ground, and with minimal moving parts. Any ideas?

I highly recommend this feeder. It is the one my flock uses. The company also sells smaller sizes.

It is rainproof, if you get the rain hat and it is a no waste feeder. No feed on the ground since I bought it. All my bantams and standard chickens love this feeder. Also, it is easy to clean.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/...ABhAwEiwAEBR0ZnrqCGCdZYiih73wuYI_4S38aGRyLNl-
N9spPOurZAKUummiy8UIphoCZk4QAvD_BwE

I saw on youtube where a guy used a large fees bucket with a lid and screwed a hole in the bottom that he hung an eye bolt with a washer from. Washer larger than the hole. Hung the whole thing from the ceiling with the eyebolt side down. So the washer covered the hole until a chicken poked the eyebolt, which allowed a small amount of food to drop out before the washer fell back into place. Like a nipple waterer, but for food. Drawback is that the food does fall on the ground when they peck it, but he said in pretty small amounts. They eat most of it. I'll try to find the video since this explanation is probably confusing.

I highly recommend this feeder. It is the one my flock uses. The company also sells smaller sizes.

It is rainproof, if you get the rain hat and it is a no waste feeder. No feed on the ground since I bought it. All my bantams and standard chickens love this feeder. Also, it is easy to clean.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/...ABhAwEiwAEBR0ZnrqCGCdZYiih73wuYI_4S38aGRyLNl-
N9spPOurZAKUummiy8UIphoCZk4QAvD_BwE
Have you used a gravity fed tube feeder? I'm just wondering if there are pros and cons between the two?

I have one of these for my young silkies. I was considering making them a PVC tube feeder. But now I wonder if I should just leave this one in the coop for them!

Have you used a gravity fed tube feeder? I'm just wondering if there are pros and cons between the two?

I have one of these for my young silkies. I was considering making them a PVC tube feeder. But now I wonder if I should just leave this one in the coop for them!
I have not tried that feeder with my flock. How big is your feeder?

Here are the gravity feeders in my coop with the big girls. (Orpingtons and Americaunas) I got the inspiration years ago from this community but I can't recall who it was to give credit. I believe there are multiple entries with similar designs.
20210409_114610.jpg

The tubes are 24 inches - which does come precut at Home Depot for ease. These are the 3 inch diameter pipes and fittings.
20210409_114604.jpg

While it is MUCH LESS waste than other feeders I had tried they can still scoop it out and sling it...I don't know if that is just my bratty birds. 🤷‍♀️
20210409_114553 (1).jpg

The middle one I elevated on an inverted flower pot in case anyone preferred dining at that height. Of course they do not care. Everyone uses them all equally. 😆

I saw on youtube where a guy used a large fees bucket with a lid and screwed a hole in the bottom that he hung an eye bolt with a washer from. Washer larger than the hole. Hung the whole thing from the ceiling with the eyebolt side down. So the washer covered the hole until a chicken poked the eyebolt, which allowed a small amount of food to drop out before the washer fell back into place. Like a nipple waterer, but for food. Drawback is that the food does fall on the ground when they peck it, but he said in pretty small amounts. They eat most of it. I'll try to find the video since this explanation is probably confusing.
Not the same one but similar, I think.

http://www.weekendhippies.com/the_coolest_chicken_feeder_in_the_world/in_the_beginning

https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/factsheets/diy-rodent-free-chook-feeder/12322946

I saved these links because the people in them are so happy with them. I haven't used them yet myself.

Back
Top Bottom