1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeder for area with heavy rainfall

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mauka, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Mauka

Mauka Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Hawai'i
    It rains everyday where I live. Having issues with a feeder that is protected, yet Available[​IMG] for my girls. Anyone have any suggestions? Pictures would help me a lot, too. Here's my coop: [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I had the same problem with rain and found this at my local feed store. It has legs to keep feed off the ground and lid that covers the feed but so birds can still feed. Sorry it's in the background of this pic but it's dark here now so can't get a close up at the moment.

3. Mauka

Aug 28, 2014
    Hawai'i
    Hey no that's great! I'll be on the lookout, I think that may just work for us. I'll have to take my chances with the sideways rain we get :)

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

With that much moisture in a warm/humid environment and a feeder outside mold is going to be a big problem. I'd keep the feeder in the coop if at all possible where it will be much more protected from the elements. I'd also open up more ventilation in your coop to let in more natural light as well as fresh air.

5. Mauka

Aug 28, 2014
    Hawai'i
    There are 16 2x2 drilled holes in the top portion (front, back and sides), plus the roofing is not sealed. All the ridges are open straight into the coop. Is that not enough? I wanted a solid bar sealed off with wire but I was outvoted. What do you think?

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I don't know that the 2x2 holes are going to be enough. Chickens don't handle heat/humidity very well and in warm weather they are going to get pretty warm in there. A larger opening, covered with wire would be better. Or maybe you could make openings at each end, up near the roof? That would allow for some cross ventilation.

7. Mauka

Aug 28, 2014
    Hawai'i

I told my husband, and he is going to make my 'bar' openings on the smaller sides for cross ventilation. The breeze comes down the mountain on that side so the cross ventilation will be perfect! Thanks for your suggestion!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by