Feeder for area with heavy rainfall

Mauka

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2014
Hawai'i
It rains everyday where I live. Having issues with a feeder that is protected, yet Available
for my girls. Anyone have any suggestions? Pictures would help me a lot, too. Here's my coop:

I had the same problem with rain and found this at my local feed store. It has legs to keep feed off the ground and lid that covers the feed but so birds can still feed. Sorry it's in the background of this pic but it's dark here now so can't get a close up at the moment.

Hey no that's great! I'll be on the lookout, I think that may just work for us. I'll have to take my chances with the sideways rain we get :)

With that much moisture in a warm/humid environment and a feeder outside mold is going to be a big problem. I'd keep the feeder in the coop if at all possible where it will be much more protected from the elements. I'd also open up more ventilation in your coop to let in more natural light as well as fresh air.

With that much moisture in a warm/humid environment and a feeder outside mold is going to be a big problem.  I'd keep the feeder in the coop if at all possible where it will be much more protected from the elements.  I'd also open up more ventilation in your coop to let in more natural light as well as fresh air.
There are 16 2x2 drilled holes in the top portion (front, back and sides), plus the roofing is not sealed. All the ridges are open straight into the coop. Is that not enough? I wanted a solid bar sealed off with wire but I was outvoted. What do you think?

There are 16 2x2 drilled holes in the top portion (front, back and sides), plus the roofing is not sealed. All the ridges are open straight into the coop. Is that not enough? I wanted a solid bar sealed off with wire but I was outvoted. What do you think?

I don't know that the 2x2 holes are going to be enough. Chickens don't handle heat/humidity very well and in warm weather they are going to get pretty warm in there. A larger opening, covered with wire would be better. Or maybe you could make openings at each end, up near the roof? That would allow for some cross ventilation.

I don't know that the 2x2 holes are going to be enough. Chickens don't handle heat/humidity very well and in warm weather they are going to get pretty warm in there.  A larger opening, covered with wire would be better. Or maybe you could make openings at each end, up near the roof?  That would allow for some cross ventilation.

I told my husband, and he is going to make my 'bar' openings on the smaller sides for cross ventilation. The breeze comes down the mountain on that side so the cross ventilation will be perfect! Thanks for your suggestion!!

Back
Top Bottom