Feeder set up?

PianoChickens

Chirping
May 7, 2023
So... I have rats. Now I have heard the advice, keep the feed under a lock and key and feed only outside the coop... ok. Recently a marten managed to destroy my whole tiny flock so I am in a redesigning stages. Please send me pictures of functional feeder set up outside where it doesn't get wet when it rains, and it is high enough off the ground that the chickens do not spill it all over. In my experience they just flick it around every which way and putting away the feeder for the night doesn't make a huge difference if the ground is still covered in chicken feed.

I would advice a PVC gravity feeder set up. 3 in pipe into a curved piece of PVC (looks like a J or a C), I use this and no spilling because there’s a lip to prevent them from scooping it out.

I’m a fan of a hanging target style feeder like the one shown in this video:

This hanging style feeder keeps the squirrels, rats, and other birds away and the chickens don’t make a mess. I drilled 3 holes in the bottom of my bucket to better accommodate my flock of 14 free ranging girls. While I’ve seen some people add a plastic lid to the bottom of the eye bolt to catch the food that comes out so the hens don’t have to scratch in the dirt, I don’t find that it’s necessary.

I tried the so called “rat proof” treadle feeders but all it did was trap the squirrels eating the food. The PVC feeders are good at preventing messes, but end up being an all day buffet for small rodents. Just my 2 cents, for what it’s worth.

This is one of my feed stations.
IMG_E1498.JPG

I have the feed bowl in a Tupperware style container in this shelter. The container keeps (most) of the scratched up dirt/leaves out of the feed. I put the lid on at night and place a brick on top.

I have their water bowl in here too, up on a cinder block to help keep it clean.

Do it yourself feeding ports (purchase from rent- a- coop or Amazon) that can be placed on 5 gallon buckets or I use a garbage can. There is little waste and mine came with caps to put on at night.

Back
Top Bottom