Feeders for moistened or fermented feed

katieuppi

Songster
Feb 10, 2017
Pacific Northwest
What does everyone that feeds moistened or fermented feed use as a feeder? Gravity fed is not working out at all. The Scratch and Peck that I feed moist kind of dries and cakes so it can't drop down. I tried a plastic trough style but my girls didn't seem to be able to get their heads through the holes to get their food. I'm currently using the round plastic gravity type with a quart jar, though I only put the food in the trash and feed them 3x a day at the moment. Totally not working for me.

There are other trough style feeders that have wire over the top instead of a lid with holes. I'm thinking this might work, though I'm concerned the girls would kick and scratch out all the food. What are your words of wisdom, pretty please?

Thanks!

I just use cat food dishes set up on bricks. Having a couple of bowls keeps the more dominant birds from being able to hoard the food, and they're cheap and easy to clean and too small for the birds to climb all over.

I made a couple gutter feeders, and really like them. There is a dowel across the middle, about 4" above the rim of the gutter. the dowel is mounted so it will spin if a bird tries to perch on it.

I also use various dog food bowls, and a plastic chip and dip container.

I'm thinking my girls would jump up and scratch out all the food...

One of mine loves standing in her food, so that's why I like smaller dishes like cat food bowls since it's too small for her to get in (though understandably if you have a lot of birds, that's a lot of tiny dishes to manage).

I've also tried bigger bowls like pie dishes, but that usually gets a least one chicken standing in it.

Experiment a little and you'll find the ideal solution for your set up.

Back
Top Bottom