Feeders

Savanah2002

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2020
I’m looking into getting some new feeders, and was wanting some options. Ideally something that will keep the feed dry. I was also wondering how everyone offers oyster shells and grit, and how to keep that dry as well. Thank you in advance!

I‘m a big fan of treadle feeders. I have two large Grandpa’s Feeders for twelve girls. I’m training my five Brahma chicks that hatched on Mother’s Day of this year and they’re doing well in the training mode. It keeps the feed dry, keeps the mice out, and I don’t have to drag food pans in and out and in and out. I don’t supplement grit because we are all sand, but I do offer oyster shells in rubber feed pans. I have one in the coop and one in the covered run.

55B85445-25FB-45A5-9BA0-DBD37A4646CA.jpeg

I just use a standard plastic gravity feeder, and dry feed, grit and oyster shells are all dispensed inside the coop, so they stay dry.

Fermented feed, I have various little sheltered/covered areas in my uncovered run to put them, to prevent them from getting rained on. For example, I can put feed under the jungle gym platform, under the structure on the right (which I call my covered feed area) and under the side overhang of the metal roofed brooder (bottom right):
flooding6.jpg

I was also wondering how everyone offers oyster shells and grit, and how to keep that dry as well.
Water will not hurt grit, and I don't think it will hurt the oyster shell either.

Some people just use a plastic container (like from sour cream or similar), nailed to part of the coop or run. A few holes punched in the bottom let rainwater drain away (because the chickens don't want to go diving to get the grit and shell, but having it a bit damp is no problem.)

Last edited:
I’m looking into getting some new feeders, and was wanting some options. Ideally something that will keep the feed dry. I was also wondering how everyone offers oyster shells and grit, and how to keep that dry as well. Thank you in advance!
I use traditional Galvanized feeders hanging inside coops.
20210717_092402.jpg

As for Oyster shell and Granite Grit containers, I use 40 ounce pails with 3/32" holes drilled in the bottom to drain moisture.
20210720_105409.jpg

GC

Back
Top Bottom