feeding 200 chickens

[email protected]

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 8, 2011
I own a chicken farm for about 200 chickens I sell chickens and eggs. and I've been seeing the feed prices going up and I wanted to know how much feed should i give 200 chickens a day to give them what they need to lay eggs? Also, They are free range so i leave them on grass all day. thank you very much.

I own a chicken farm for about 200 chickens I sell chickens and eggs. and I've been seeing the feed prices going up and I wanted to know how much feed should i give 200 chickens a day to give them what they need to lay eggs? Also, They are free range so i leave them on grass all day. thank you very much.
There are a lot of factors in play here.
Age, breed, feed (protein and brand), average free range time, amount of free ranging pasture, quality of pasture and temperature are the major ones.

At best a ISA Brown at peak production (28 week) should be eating 114 oz. (4.02 oz) a day of a good laying feed of 17% protein.

Chris

Last edited:
I had 107 chickens before we started thinning the flock. About a 5th of those were small chicks, some older chicks, can't remember exactly, but a few weeks old anyway. I had 53 layers and 3 mature roosters. I free range them on a good pasture (alfalfa and grass) and fed them ± 14lbs of food per day. I only fed cracked corn though, as my chickens have access to greens and there was no difference in egg production when I did feed layer pellets.
If you feed them outside make sure wild birds don't eat the chicken's food. They can easily eat as much as the chickens! I scatter the food and stand by them until most of the food's gone, otherwise I feed the entire neighbourhood's birdies.

Back
Top Bottom