Feeding adult buff Orpington starter grit?

rt0026

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2016
I was out of grit and food. I went to the feed store and they only had mini crushed granite starter grit 50 lbs. There is no information on Google about this. I did read about sand being considered grit and this bag is for sure bigger than grains of sand.

Is there any reason I can't use starter grit for them? Do they actually need big rocks and can't use chick grit?

I purchased some grit for adult-sized chickens (can't remember what it's actually called lol) and they absolutely hate eating it, for some reason. There's a layer of grit at the bottom of the feeder by the time they've emptied the feeder. I have a portion of my plot filled with tiny river rocks that they love to eat, though, so I wouldn't be worried - it's about the size of starter grit, and they seem to do just fine. :)

It's not a good idea to mix grit with their feed. It will encourage them to bill their food out and that can lead to waste and encourage rats. Better to either scatter it down in the run or put it in a pile in the corner or a separate bowl if you want to monitor it. Same goes for Oyster shell. Keep the feeder for feed only. They don't need very much grit because it breaks down pretty slowly and if they have access to dirt in their run or they free range, they can usually scratch up something suitable. My mother used to smash up old chipped crockery and give that to them. I have tried it and my chickens went wild for it. I have an old yellow everyday dinner service that loses a plate every now and then and it is funny how the broken pieces went into the chicken with sharp edges and came out as smooth little yellow balls in their poop! I smashed it with a hammer on the block paving and they were nearly running under the hammer to grab bits of it.

It's not a good idea to mix grit with their feed. It will encourage them to bill their food out and that can lead to waste and encourage rats. Better to either scatter it down in the run or put it in a pile in the corner or a separate bowl if you want to monitor it. Same goes for Oyster shell. Keep the feeder for feed only. They don't need very much grit because it breaks down pretty slowly and if they have access to dirt in their run or they free range, they can usually scratch up something suitable. My mother used to smash up old chipped crockery and give that to them. I have tried it and my chickens went wild for it. I have an old yellow everyday dinner service that loses a plate every now and then and it is funny how the broken pieces went into the chicken with sharp edges and came out as smooth little yellow balls in their poop! I smashed it with a hammer on the block paving and they were nearly running under the hammer to grab bits of it.

Good to know! It said on the bag to mix it into their feed, so I just followed the instructions. Was wondering why they weren't eating the grit despite free ranging. I'll probably buy a cheap little dog bowl and fill it with grit. :p

Back
Top Bottom