grounded corn

JammyWammy

In the Brooder
May 29, 2023
i dont have access to grit. no stores sell it here, and i dont have access to online stores that do sell it. i tried to find it myself, but the pebbles i could find were all too big. to get around the issue i started feeding the chicken mainly parsley, alongside some smaller grains that it wasnt really eating that often. im concerned about the protein intake, so starting today i intend to grind corn/wheat and just feed it that instead. and i was wondering if that's a valid way to get around the issue, or if its not an issue that you can get around and i just need to try extra hard to find grit.

Where is here.... where are you located?

You are not feeding your chickens only parsley. Corn is inadequate. Buy some proper chicken food please.

Also, can we see pics of your coop/chicken run please.

Can you get a sledge hammer? My sons worked at a rock testing lab one summer. They broke rocks with sledge hammers until all the material was fine enough to go through a fine sieve. You would need just a little and not that fine.

It would be much, much, much better than trying to work around this problem by grinding everything they eat yourself.

Also, greens need grit also, usually at least.

Where is here.... where are you located?

You are not feeding your chickens only parsley. Corn is inadequate. Buy some proper chicken food please.

Also, can we see pics of your coop/chicken run please.
Here is Iraq
alongside parsley there's wheat grains which i thought wasnt enough so starting today i added corn
sure, here's the food i feed it, the place in which it's kept and the fence on top of which it sleeps. we tried to get it off it but it was very persistent.
i did buy chicken pellets but it was rarely ever eating it

Attachments

• chmkn.jpg
    chmkn.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 11
  • chmkn2.jpg
    chmkn2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 9
  • chmkn3.jpg
    chmkn3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 9
  • chmkn4.jpg
    chmkn4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 11
  • chmkn5.jpg
    chmkn5.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 11
Can you get a sledge hammer? My sons worked at a rock testing lab one summer. They broke rocks with sledge hammers until all the material was fine enough to go through a fine sieve. You would need just a little and not that fine.

It would be much, much, much better than trying to work around this problem by grinding everything they eat yourself.

Also, greens need grit also, usually at least.
people are extremely judgemental where i live and they dont really believe in taking care of a chicken beyond just feeding it and giving it water. i was once called crazy and brain washed when i suggested that chickens need small rocks for digesting their food
if people saw me smashing rocks then theyre likely to just declare me as someone whos retarded
i cant do it inside the house because its all tiles, they might break if i smash rocks on top of them
i usually slice the greens before giving it to them rather than the whole thing as is

Where do you live? Is English your first language?

Corn and wheat with parsley isn't really enough nutrition. If he doesn't like the pellets you can try soaking them with some water and making a mash/porridge. They usually like that. You can catch some bugs for him, give him some left over table scraps..... meat, vegetables, cooked egg etc.... he will pick out what he needs.

You have to be able to find grit. It's just cleaned gravel. As mentioned the rocks that are too big.... smash them with a hammer, or a bigger rock until they are smaller. Don't worry what others think. Just go outside and smash em up. About the size of a match head. Give him a variety of grit and he will pick out what he wants,

Where do you live? Is English your first language?

Corn and wheat with parsley isn't really enough nutrition. If he doesn't like the pellets you can try soaking them with some water and making a mash/porridge. They usually like that. You can catch some bugs for him, give him some left over table scraps..... meat, vegetables, cooked egg etc.... he will pick out what he needs.

You have to be able to find grit. It's just cleaned gravel. As mentioned the rocks that are too big.... smash them with a hammer, or a bigger rock until they are smaller. Don't worry what others think. Just go outside and smash em up. About the size of a match head. Give him a variety of grit and he will pick out what he wants,
its not thatd be arabic, i live in iraq

i did try the soaking method but it usually started to smell sour after one day and i didnt really feel safe feeding it sour food

would it be fine if it was the size of 2 match heads approximately?

Do they have access to the outside?
Most dirt has rocks if different sizes so the chickens will find the right rocks in the dirt.
If they are inside on tile then go out by the side of a road or a field and fill a bucket with soil and let the chickens find the rocks they need.

Ah OK. Your English is good.

2 match heads would be ok. If you could get some smaller as he is a bit s,all that would be ideal. He can choose what he needs. As royal chick says next time you are out and about just pick up gravel/dirt from anywhere. Put it in your pocket, give it a wash and let him have it.

You only need to soak enough food that he will eat in one day. It only takes a few minutes to soak it. So it's no trouble to do it each day. You could even mix the wheat and corn into it to encourage him to eat it.

If you have a pair of pliers and little bit too large grit, you can easily make it smaller without smashing tiles inside the house by crushing it.

Do they have access to the outside?
Most dirt has rocks if different sizes so the chickens will find the right rocks in the dirt.
If they are inside on tile then go out by the side of a road or a field and fill a bucket with soil and let the chickens find the rocks they need.
i live in whats practically if not literally just a desert theres no soil just dust and they dont have access to the outside no thatd be brutal its like 40 celsius

Back
Top Bottom