Feeding adults and chicks need suggestions.

9xladybird

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2015
Poway Ca.
Hi there, I have 5 adult hens and recently picked up 4 chicks. The chicks are 6 weeks old now. The chicks are on a medicated starter/grower and the big girls on laying mash. How can I get everyone fed properly without having to separate them for 18 weeks. I am sure I would need to discontinue the use of the medicated starer/grower and think it wouldn't be wise to feed laying mash to chicks. Right now the chicks are inside the run in a fenced off area with the big girls... but sometimes they fly over the fence. I would really like to stream line my feeding routine. Looking forward to any advice you can give me. THANKS

The simple solution (one I use myself for my flock) is feeding all the birds a grower ration (I feed Flock Raiser - but any grower ration will work) and then provide the calcium needed by birds who are actively shelling and laying eggs in the form of free choice oyster shell in a separate container.

I think feed medicated with amprollium is safe for the eggs to be eaten. Feed everyone the starter/grower until the littles are big enough for layer feed. Offer oyster shell for your mature layers, they'll eat what they need and the littles will leave it alone for the most part.

I also have mixed ages in my flock - I have adult laying hens, a 6 month old roo, and 15 chicks ranging from 7 to 8 weeks. I elected to use a Flock Raiser and provide oyster shell for the layers. Working great so far.

I think feed medicated with amprollium is safe for the eggs to be eaten. Feed everyone the starter/grower until the littles are big enough for layer feed. Offer oyster shell for your mature layers, they'll eat what they need and the littles will leave it alone for the most part.
There is no withdrawal period for amprolium, the eggs are fine to eat.

Thank you all for your input. I will try to get out this weekend to pick up some flock raiser. Then give the unused portion of medicated to sister for her chicks. This will certainly make things easier.

Back
Top Bottom