feeding babies with layers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimf, Feb 17, 2012.

1. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    I'm sure this is on here somewhere, but I didn't see it. I have 5 new babies coming and will, in time, place them in with my existing 7 chickens. By the time the babies arrive and are ready to introduce and incorporate the exisiting hens will be laying. What do I do for feeding. We don't have the space to keep them separate until the new chick are laying. Can I give layer to everyone and try to supplement with starter for the babies, I could close them in the coop for a bit each morning to feed? Help? What do you do when you have a hen raise the babies from hatch?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You'll feed what the younger birds need and have oyster or egg shells free choice for the laying hens. You don't want to give young birds layer feed as the high calcium content isn't good for them. One thing it does is set the pelvis too soon so causes laying problems later.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I stopped using layer feed as soon as I realized I would always have chicks or pullets too young to lay. For a while I just continued to feed everybody grower/finisher feed, supplemented with w dish of oyster shell on the side (for the layers to take as they need).

Now I feed the whole flock Nutrena "All Flock" - as I have chickens of all ages, plus ducks and geese. Crushed oyster shell is available 24/7 for the layers.

4. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    Thanks so much! I knew there was a simple answer. The adults take the oyster as needed and the babies leave it? It's amazing how they know what they do and don't need.

5. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    Crap! I just got layers' feed for the 4 RIR hens I'm getting this weekend because the guy at the feed store said we can't eat the eggs if we feed the hens starter/grower feed. He said they didn't have just grower feed. Now the chicks won't be able to eat the layers' feed? I'm so confused! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by