feeding bones

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by anotheregglady, Dec 24, 2010.

1. anotheregglady

anotheregglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Alaska interior
    Hi, what is the thinking on feeding cooked bones from pork chops and beef bones?

2. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    Our Golden retriever pup loves them (he's 9 months old) Soon he MIGHT be big enough so our chickens quit chasing him....[​IMG]

3. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I think you would really have to pressure cook them down so they would be able to eat them. Would be more trouble than it was worth for my part.

4. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Randy is right.
    Eating bones is not worth the effort.

But they will go nuts picking the meat off them.
    My chicken go wild when I bring in a chicken carcass, lamb, pork or beef bones.
    They are hard-core carnivores that eat pellets and veggies only because they have to when the meat supply is low (most days).

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Patzvetal,

Please don't feed your puppy or dog cooked bones! Its very dangerous - the cooking dehydrates them, making them brittle and very dangerous in their digestive tracts.

6. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    I posted a question about feeding my chickens a cooked chicken carcass (it was from a baked chicken we had for dinner). I was told it was okay - so I did - I found 3 bones left (2 at first and one later)- chickens were mighty happy! No problems with anything. I cooked the carcass, saved the broth for the dogs food and separated the carcass into a few large pieces, cooled it off, and put it outside with the chickens - an hour later - happy chickens and no more carcass!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    The chickens will spend hours picking the bones clean and will be very happy about it....I do it every chance I get.

8. 3ChickensNADuck

3ChickensNADuck Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    I give my birds all animal bones. With beef/pork they'll peck it meatless than I trash them. But with chicken bones, I don't know what they do with it, but they disappear after a few days. Not sure if they break and eat it whole.

9. missy_cbell21

missy_cbell21 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    maysville, nc
    I feed my chickens bones. They eat all the bones when we have chicken for dinner and when we have beef or pork they clean the bones then the dogs get the leftovers when I move the tractor. Last week I made pulled pork in the crock pot and the bones were a bit soft, the chickens loved them. They picked almost all the marrow out and ate the edges at the softest spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by