feeding Chickens Black pepper

My 1900 era home remedies/farm/cook book lists oil of capsicum as a digestive aid, parasite cure, and scurvey preventative. Black pepper is listed as a food preservative, intestinal parasite cure, fly repellent, and topical arthritis and congestion remedy when prepared in a paste with vinegar. They are both also listed as aphrodesiacs! Maybe the Latino cultures have something there!

They also indicate Copenhagen snuff is a good dewormer for livestock! Feed one tin per 1000lb animal weight!

Last edited:
Quote:
Huh, file that under "I learned something today". I NEVER would have guessed that snuff could/would be given as a dewormer...or given to an animal in general. It's really interesting what folks did way back when. And, it generally worked.

When I was a kid I remenber several Uncles in our family feed their goats tobacco for worms. Peppers are a new one, and hopefully one I can try next winter.

Quote:
Sorry, but I just can't resist:
tongue2.gif

So your hoping that your goats get worms next winter? Hopefully, you have a sense of humor since I truly meant this as a joke.

lau.gif
hide.gif

I've seen it too! Give Red Man chewing tobacco to pigs, goats, horses. My Dad and Papa did it. Papa chewed Cannonball plug, it was real stout! Made me sick as a dog when I was about 8.

I read the Little House on the Prairie books years ago. I remember Ma gave some chicks black pepper to get rid of any parasites they might have. Folk remedy, I guess. Always wondered if it worked.

So where is the update today.
idunno.gif
.....Well here is mine.The great pepper experiment continues, fed them peppercorns yesterday and only one egg....Tomorrow should be two. So mine are on the same schedule. We do have a cold front moving in so they could be saving some of there energy.

Quote:
Pepper is pepper...when it's pepper. However, cayenne is a chili. (The term "chili pepper" is a misnomer) Not that it matters, as it seems that whether it is a pepper or a chili they both appear to be part of what people have used for the same purpose.

Quote:
Huh, file that under "I learned something today". I NEVER would have guessed that snuff could/would be given as a dewormer...or given to an animal in general. It's really interesting what folks did way back when. And, it generally worked.

In my copy of the Army Survival Handbook, it says if you (as a person) get worms, to eat 1-1.5 (minus the filter) cigarettes.... or to drink kerosene!

Back
Top Bottom