Feeding chickens only sprouts

Pics
I agree with everyone here. While feeding a diet of mainly sprouts could maybe be possible, it would take a lot of work, and even more research to get the right ingredients, proportions, and supplements right. As the OP now knows, sticking to a diet of layer pellets is probably best both for them and the birds. Thanks to the OP for realizing this and for apologising for your first reaction, as well as for realizing that you (like we did) missed a couple things that people had said :)

But you can't make a universal supplement that is added to ALL kinds of feed, because the basic feed ingredients themselves contain some vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
I believe the idea behind the premixes is to ensure that all the basic micronutrient needs are met. The feed source can add additional amounts without harmful consequences. I liken this to taking a multivitamin supplement to ensure you are not deficient in some critical micronutrient. The feed makes up the macronutrients.

I think we should keep in mind that a chicken, in the form we currently raise, is not a "natural" animal, so trying to find a "natural" diet for it is a lost cause. Chickens like the ones you keep in your back yard do not exist wild in nature. There once was a wild chicken, thousands of years ago, that lived in the Indus Valley in a hot climate and a very specific ecosystem, and ate whatever was available in that ecosystem. Those times are long gone. The chickens that remain today are domesticated, and any "wild" chickens you might see running around are simply feral domesticated chickens, and they do not survive in the "wild" year-round, in climates that have cold winters (or in remote areas far from human settlements and the food sources they provide). Present day chickens have been bred so heavily for egg and meat production that they have totally different dietary needs compared to truly wild birds. They depend on people to feed them a proper diet. The most natural place for a chicken at this point in their evolution is under the care of a human. Just like so many animals we have domesticated and made dependent on us - like cows and dogs and so many others.

So, for the sake of your chickens' well-being, please reevaluate the meaning of the term "natural", and don't turn down what is best for your chickens just because of a philosophical preference.

@Hunter81103 don't feel downcast! People can be strict about what they feed chickens. I'm one of the looser types.

No, I don't ignore the common rules. I'm just not as strict.

What I do is feed them fermented feed. This gives them lots of nutrients and strengthens their immune system. I feed fodder (grains sprouted for about a week, so they are green and tall) as their winter greens. For me, greens are not a snack. Greens are a must have in their diet.

I agree with most of the other posts. Unless you know the correct amount of nutrients the birds need and how to supplement, I would stick with the layer feed. Not sure why you don't want to, but when you change the diet it can affect the birds. You can still give them sprouts as treats. The birds feathers are primarily made of protein. The costs of the supplements often times is greater than the layer feed which has the nutrients they need in the proper amounts. In years past I fed my birds special feed but I also show them at poultry shows. My feed store closed so now I have to get other feed for my birds. Now I'm feeding everyone All Flock. I have more birds than the average backyard flock. I started raising chickens around 50 years ago, so I've had a lot of practice. The birds did get more grain but back then they free ranged too which I don't do anymore due to losses from predators and we didn't have a predator problem like today. Good luck...

Hi, I'm new here, but I've been raising chickens for 27 years. I have friends who raise chickens as well. My friends feed organic layer and have eggs in the spring through fall. I have eggs all year long. I feed barley fodder (sprouts) with bentonite clay and kelp and fresh water. I have been feeding this way for 8 years! My chickens aren't sickly or skinny. I have Rhode Island Reds and Light Brahmas. I have chickens living (and still laying) to 9 years old and one that is still going at 11! As for cost, I pay about half of what it would cost me for regular layer, not organic. As for protein, barley fodder is 20% protein! Growing fodder is, however, a commitment that you have to do every day and a lot of people just don't feel they have the time.

I have eggs all year long. I feed barley fodder (sprouts) with bentonite clay and kelp and fresh water.
That's all they eat?

And they all lay all year round, with no break for molting?

Welcome to BYC! @Tipharah
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1614112179144.png

Yes, that is all they get. They do molt, but most of them just soft molt. They don't all molt at the same time and they pick up laying again after a couple weeks, hence I have eggs all year long. I think that is just because they are healthy. We live in south east Wyoming

Back
Top Bottom