Feeding chickens only sprouts

Pics
Layer food is convenient and has mostly what a laying hen needs. That does not mean it is the only way to feed. There are members of BYC where winter is not harsh that have successfully allowed flocks to free range without supplements year round. Others such as Tipharah who use an alternative way to provide the birds what they need. I do not know the exact nutritional needs of my birds as I use the easy way of commercial feed, oyster shells and free range. The information is out there, and I am sure known by other members of BYC if you would like to continue your research and feed a diet that does not involve commercial feed.

Hi, I'm new here, but I've been raising chickens for 27 years. I have friends who raise chickens as well. My friends feed organic layer and have eggs in the spring through fall. I have eggs all year long. I feed barley fodder (sprouts) with bentonite clay and kelp and fresh water. I have been feeding this way for 8 years! My chickens aren't sickly or skinny. I have Rhode Island Reds and Light Brahmas. I have chickens living (and still laying) to 9 years old and one that is still going at 11! As for cost, I pay about half of what it would cost me for regular layer, not organic. As for protein, barley fodder is 20% protein! Growing fodder is, however, a commitment that you have to do every day and a lot of people just don't feel they have the time.

Wow, that's very interesting. Sorry about the ignorance - what is Bentonite clay? I think kelp has lots of mineral, vitamin K and calcium (I grew up by the ocean, and kelp is yummy, we have all kinds of way to cook kelp or make kelp salad.)

a simple yes or no

no I do accept it I’m just asking maybe what could I give them to complete their diet if that wouldn’t be enough but no one seems to know the answer to that
Because there isn't an answer to it. You probably would have to have 20-30 different supplements. That might even be more than your chickens would eat. Do you know where to buy boron? If you don't want to take our advice I'd suggest Google. Please, let us know what you find and concoct.,

I asked a question of if I could feed them sprouts and supplement anything else they needed if that would work, I’m not interested in a class I just wanna know what else I could supplement with it, I want mine organic and fed a more natural diet it’s a waste to buy organic feed, it was just a simple question
If you have feed them ANYTHING not 100% organic from absolutely day 1, you can not state they are organicly raised or organic eggs. I found out the hard way.
Also depends on the breeds. ISA browns Sex links, hybrids are not good foragers. They are feed eating machines for 2 years. So a Cinnamon Queen production chicken will be malnourished, where a Speckled Sussex will not. Takes a lot of homework to raise chickens.

Mine are free-range and have access to pasture. I always keep layer feed in their feeders. They eat their layer feed as the last option. They truly seem to dislike it. Why not have sprouts and layer feed together?

My (caged) ducks eat a ton of feed, but my chickens wouldn't go through very much at all. Of course, they have access to worms, insects, and all sorts of plants.

I would offer the sprouts and see let them get as much feed as they want. They might be like mine, only eating it occasionally.

If you have feed them ANYTHING not 100% organic from absolutely day 1, you can not state they are organicly raised or organic eggs. I found out the hard way.
Also depends on the breeds. ISA browns Sex links, hybrids are not good foragers. They are feed eating machines for 2 years. So a Cinnamon Queen production chicken will be malnourished, where a Speckled Sussex will not. Takes a lot of homework to raise chickens.
Also raising chickens is not like buying a goldfish. It isn't easy, a lot to take on. Don't be offended, there is tons of help here, and people who need help...as well as experts. I have 60 chickens, 15 ducks and a couple Toulouse geese, cats that roam the chicken runs, and a Doberman guarding my birds. Takes up almost all my spare time.

Yeah I got it from someone I bought a chicken from that I should not have, they are not stressed at all and I don’t understand how it is malnourishment it’s natural and I would be able to supplement anything I needed I could supplement vitamins, minerals, protein and calcium so I really don’t see the problem if all their needs are met
Fermented grain is a good thing for the birds as well. I will suppliment that into there diet all summer. My customers love my eggs!

Just make sure you are commuted to what the girls need! Go get a bag of layer feed and treat them now and again! Put your energy into growing them worms or a garden to dig in!

Is there any more natural way to go without layer feed that would be more balanced
Chooks' wild ancestors had whole range of food, wild grains, fruit, and many insects and even mice, to eat. And they only laid 1/2 a dozen or so eggs in a year. You cannot maintain their health and constant laying ability on something like sprouts. They will be severally malnourished in no time ate all, will stop laying, and if you persist will probably die.

Back
Top Bottom