Feeding Cornish Rock

VictorX

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 24, 2012
I have 25 cornish rock that I have free choice fed for the 10 days I have had them. They are growing like crazy and I am considering switching their feeding schedule. They are currently on a 24% and I am about to switch them to a 18-20% feed. Is 12/12 the best alternative feeding schedule or are there others?

You are wasting protein. A balanced diet that results in a 20% Crude protein level is high enough for now but it should go down to 18% in a week to ten days.

A 12/12 light schedule is not recommended by any of the breeding companies that supply these bloodlines. Recommending a 12/12 schedule serves the small hatchery's purposes and not fully that of anyone else.

Go to
http://www.cobb-vantress.com/contactus/brochures/Broiler_Mgmt_Guide_2008.pdf

And look at page 23 for recommended lighting programs. Actually read the whole thing.

I've had mine on 12/12 since three weeks and it has visibly slowed their growth, however, it has definitely increased their mobility - they get up and move around and flap and sort of fail to jump a lot more. When I switched them to 12/12 they basically sat on their belly and only got up to move to the feeder or the waterer. Welp also has a chart for "feed per bird per day" and I know people who weigh it out and just open feed - if one bird gets more food than the others they sort of deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom