Feeding cracked corn to younger laying hens

Whoa people, wasn't looking to start fights. I never said its the absolute best and only food a chicken needs. No need to go on the attack. But my statement still is true, they won't die on corn alone. I just didn't want this person to feel they have to go buy feed that for all we know they have no access to, they are giving other foods already. Yes my birds are free range but what i provide is mainly corn and I won't be criticized for it. Feeding corn is not wrong. My birds are happy and healthy. I'm not here for a debate on corn, just hoping people keep open minds here people. Have a nice day :)

@mightymax
Thanks for your response!Do you know of a layer feed that is organic and does not have corn or soy?
Happy new year

My biggest concern with a lot of corn in a chicken's diet is all of the internal fat that accumulates in the hen's abdomen.

The corn in and of itself is not the problem rather is it the imbalance of nutrients when you feed corn in addition to a feed. When you do so you no longer have the appropriate balance of amino acids, vitamins, and minerals and an excess of carbohydrates.

@mightymax
Thanks for your response!Do you know of a layer feed that is organic and does not have corn or soy?
Happy new year

H & H Feed makes an organic layer feed that is soy free. They are located in Texas, but you can order from there website and they will ship anywhere in the continental U.S. Just google: H & H organic chicken feed

The only motive I have for feeding corn is that I can aqquire much much cheaper. I now know that it is nt a good balanced diet for them but if all I had was corn to give them what would be some good things to give them to help balance out the diet. Like I said they have partial free range and get plenty of scraps so the crack corn would probably only be about 50% of their diet. Any ideas on particular scraps that are better than others or would be a good supplement to this diet? Keep in mind cost is a very very big factor.

Back
Top Bottom