feeding cracked corn?

Quote:
I haven't heard that before. Do you remember what is supposed to be bad about it? I'd hate to think I was killing them with kindness...

I started using it a couple of months ago when a few of the girls went into heavy molt and the weather started to get pretty bad. It's done wonders for getting feathers back on the girls and everybody seems to be doing well. I do also offer free choice oyster shell because the gamebird feed doesn't have anywhere near enough calcium in it.

I had heard about mixing game bird with Layena...anyone else?

I give scratch which has ground corn, for a treat on cold winter days, so their crop has stuff to keep them warm. It is cold here in Michigan right now.

I read all these threads on corn and value the opinions I see. Across the road is a farm that trucks corn to mills. It is taken by semis to many mills in the area. I am talking a lot of corn. There is always corn all over the ground and you can guess where you will find all the birds. His chickens seem to spend all their time foraging all around his silos and the driveways leading to the road. His wife sells eggs all year round and never seems to have a shortage. His chickens are beautiful. I don't know about their health but there is no way you could keep them from it. I wonder how chickens around these kind of surroundings don't just die off from being to fat after a year old. I sometime wonder if we are just to protective of our flocks. Years ago they didn't have all this fancy blended feeds.

Quote:
I wonder the same thing. My grandmother never bought food for her chickens. They had dried corn in the corn crib and it was my delight when young to shell out that corn and toss it to the chickens. Wasn't cracked either.

I feed a lot of corn to my birds. They arent fat, and I cant keep up with the egg production. That being said, they also get free choice Flock Raiser and free range several hours every day. So I do think it all balances out.

I would be far more concerned with birds kept in runs or cages who dont get to free range. Its probably more important they be kept on a balanced diet.

Back
Top Bottom