feeding cracked corn?

Centralflafred

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 12, 2009
Plant City, Fla.
Since cracked corn is a bit cheaper than the Layena I've started to give my dozen little girls about a 44oz. cup of the corn a day as a choice for them and to give them something to do. When I feed some will go right for the cracked corn while other patiently wait knowing the Layena is about to be there too. I was wondering if anyone had input on this method.

Thanks,

i can tell you i put the corn in their food and it caused a vitamin deficiency.id watch how much you give them.just my opinion.

I have a mixture of 75% cracked corn and 25% oats that I use for feed for my steers. I spread a coffee can of the feed on the ground from time to time to give the hens something to scratch for. I would be careful how much cracked corn you feed your chickens though. It should be a treat and not a large portion of their nutrition.

Quote:
Doesn't it also contribute to a shortened life span, due to unecessary extra fat?

dont know about all that but i lost one of my young d'uccles.now they get a hand full for a snack.

Quote:
I seem to remember someone talking about a study by one of the universities who experimented with different kinds of feed. The ones who had been fed a lot of corn, were found to have large amounts of fat around their internal organs, which lead to a shortened lifespan. Or perhaps it was other grains... It was something like that.

Quote:
I seem to remember someone talking about a study by one of the universities who experimented with different kinds of feed. The ones who had been fed a lot of corn, were found to have large amounts of fat around their internal organs, which lead to a shortened lifespan. Or perhaps it was other grains... It was something like that.

probably.threehorses helped me figure it out.live and learn.just hate when i loose any...
sad.png

Quote:

That's possible.
If you think about it a lot of research goes into layer feed to create a balanced diet for the birds.
I think cracked corn for a treat is fine - might even help in the winter months.

Quote:
Cracked corn is somewhere around 8% protien, layer feed is usually around 16%. You'll save some money on feed, but with that kind of high carb low protien diet you'll also see a dive in production. I give more scratch in the winter to help them stay warm, but I also feed a 22% gamebird feed to keep the protien up for the ladies that are molting and the youngsters that are still growing.

I can sure see where you're coming from, my feed bill (not just chickens) would probably be bigger then my grocery bill if it wasn't for my son.....I think it's been more than a year since we've had a conversation that hasn't involved food. I just can't wait until he's a teenager.
th.gif

I feed mine a mixture of laying pellets, with a little scratch and whole corn in the winter, But I free range mine 100%, I never had one that lasted long enough to see if it shortens their life span, the critters all ways shortens mine

Back
Top Bottom