Feeding Different Age Hens?

bwebster

Songster
Mar 3, 2020
Connecticut
Hello all. I have four 12 week old EEs and 2 laying BRs close to 18 months. I have a few feeding stations set up, with the young hens feed in an area where they mostly go (higher up) and regular layer feed in the others. However, they all definitely eat each other's feed.

I read that layers can eat the higher protein feed if oyster shell is available, which it is. But, young hens shouldn't eat lower protein feed. Is that accurate? Should I just fill all the feeders with the grower (20%~) feed? Are the 18% 'all flock' feeds do able?

Thanks in advance.

Either way should be fine. I feed all of mine the highest protein I can get my hands on and have free choice oyster shell. Depending on what store I go to I feed gamebird or all flock 20% feed. This prevents feather picking and gives them better feather quality/quicker feather repair. The growing chicks especially need high protein. Another benefit of not feeding layer feed is that it can be beneficial to roosters and hens who are broody or not laying not have to eat excess calcium :)

I have four 12 week old EEs and 2 laying BRs close to 18 months. I have a few feeding stations set up, with the young hens feed in an area where they mostly go (higher up) and regular layer feed in the others.
Should I just fill all the feeders with the grower (20%~) feed? Are the 18% 'all flock' feeds do able?
12 weeks old is too young for Layers feed.
You could feed all either a Starter, Grower or All-Flock/Flock Raiser feed with a separate container of Oyster Shells.
I feed all ages a Starter-grower feed 18% with Oyster Shells separately.
My chickens age from 20 days to 33 months old.
I do feed Medicated for 10 weeks so I have 2 open bags. GC

Thanks guys. I actually miscalculated their age... Young ones are actually about 14 weeks. (Arrived as 4 week old pullets on 3/31).

Back
Top Bottom