Feeding Ducklings Medicated Feed - The Myths and the Truth

I always thought it was bad because ducklings eat more than chicks, so they'd be eating more of the medicine. What do I know though lol.
So, I just stick with unmedicated just because.:confused:

I always thought it was bad because ducklings eat more than chicks, so they'd be eating more of the medicine. What do I know though lol.
So, I just stick with unmedicated just because.:confused:

That's kind of a myth :) A week old duckling does indeed eat more than a week old chick, for instance - but they're also growing much faster and will be much larger than a week old chick is. So the amount of food they're eating, while a larger amount than a same age chick, is proportional to their larger size, if that makes sense.

Or think of it this way - an adult chicken eats more than a chick, right? So if you're feeding an adult flock medicated feed, then the adults are eating way more medicine than a chick ever does. But they're larger, so the dose of medication they are receiving, while a lot bigger than what a chick gets, isn't going to hurt them. On the contrary, they need it to be much larger to even have any affect.

Definitely stick to unmedicated if you can get it. If you ever find you can't, however, don't be afraid to feed medicated if you need to :)

That's kind of a myth :) A week old duckling does indeed eat more than a week old chick, for instance - but they're also growing much faster and will be much larger than a week old chick is. So the amount of food they're eating, while a larger amount than a same age chick, is proportional to their larger size, if that makes sense.

Definitely stick to unmedicated if you can get it. If you ever find you can't, however, don't be afraid to feed medicated if you need to :)
Will do, thanks for the info Pyxis!

I could only find organic non medicated chick starter and no duckling or duck feed for that matter. Should I be supplementing niacin for my ducklings? Or only if it's medicated? Is there anything else I should supplement, like vitamin b?

And I know this is off topic slightly, but thought I'd ask anyway. Are there any other feeds or treats that would help a duckling gain more weight? I have one that just isn't as filled out as the rest in her face, or does that mean she just has a more feminine build? They're all Muscovy and maybe about 3-5 days old. Sorry I'm a new ducky mum

Not close. Just Atwood's which is another type of farm store. I was in a pinch and it was close to closing time. Do most tscs have actual duck feeds?

My TSCs carry Purina flock raiser, that’s what I use. But they have recently started selling a duck pellet feed. But I don’t like it for young ducklings until they can handle the pellets.

Back
Top Bottom